PDA

View Full Version : hdinstall on /hdd2, like to have /home/frank on /dev/sda2

transistortoaster
11-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi,
I request some help please. I installed the Knoppix 4 DVD on /dev/hdd2 and I would like my home directory to be located on /sda2/home/frank instead of /hdd2/home/frank. What filepermissions/ ownership do I need for the /sda2/home/frank directory? How do I make the mount and symbolic links? Do I need to modify /etc/lilo.conf?

Also, the knoppix-installer didn't set my primary hard disk (/sda1) to give me the boot menu of linux vs Windows when I boot up. Is there a FAQ for that?
Thanks,
Frank

Markus
11-26-2005, 10:34 PM
- boot knoppix cd
- sudo mount /mnt/hdd2
- sudo mount /mnt/sda2
- cd /mnt/hdd2/home
- sudo cp -Rp * /mnt/sda2/
- sudo echo "/dev/sda2 /home auto rw,auto,users,exec 0 2" >> /mnt/hdd2/etc/fstab (or add it with: sudo mcedit /mnt/hdd2/etc/fstab)
- reboot to hd install
- type mount to check that /home is mounted and working and then remove the /home contents from hdd2:
- boot from cd
- sudo mount /mnt/hdd2
- cd /mnt/hdd2
- rm -rf home/*
- reboot to hd install
- done

Knoppix uses grub instead of lilo so no, you don't need to change lilo.conf

- add to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

transistortoaster
11-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your help. :D There's still a glitch to be resolved. Maybe it was not clear from my previous post. I have no boot menu at all. I tried doing what you suggested and I am only half way there. How do I install grub to load into the computer hard disk boot up?
Thanks,
Frank :D

Markus
11-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Oops, misunderstood that. First look at /boot/grub/menu.lst and see if it looks ok and contains lines looking something like this at the bottom:
<snip>
title Windows 2000
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.14.2-191105
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14.2-191105 root=/dev/hdb1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 \
lang=us hda=scsi hdb=scsi nomce vga=794 splash=silent
initrd /boot/initrd.splash
savedefault
boot
<snip>

Then install grub to the mbr. This assumes your box boots from hda first so change hda to your boot disk (sda?):
- boot cd
- sudo mount /mnt/hdd2
- sudo grub-install --recheck --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/hdd2 /dev/hda

transistortoaster
11-27-2005, 02:22 AM
Thanks so much, it works!! :D

I did a little reworking for the drive, like you said. I leave the final result for any person who might need it in the future.

title Knoppix 4 Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.12
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12 root=/dev/hdd2 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us hda=scsi hdb=scsi nomce vga=794 splash=silent
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

Best regards,
Frank