PDA

View Full Version : Bios Changed after installation

George Morris
11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
After using Knoppix 4.0.2 on a live DVD I decided to install it on a Microtel 1.1 Ghz with AMI bios. After the install it wouldn't connect to the internet. I went in and configured the network card. I was then able to connect to the internet. Upon rebooting the computer, I recieved an error message stating to put in a boot disk (cdrom or floppy). I did not choose this option when I installed Knoppix. I put in the live DVD and it booted but of course it was running off the live DVD. I went into the bios and discovered that they had been changed to boot 1st from CD, 2nd from Realtek (etho card) 3rd floppy. How did Knoppix change my bios to boot from the network card? I tried to change it to my hard drive but that is no longer even an option, booting from Realtek (network) replaced it in the boot options list. It has total screwed my computer to being next to unusable. I tried installing a different distro in hope it would clear things up but it doesn't. Knoppix has made my computer a door stop. Luckly it is just a spare computer I have for testing out distros.

I may have inadvertantly configured the card wrong but it sure shouldn't change my bios. Especially since I can't change them back to boot from the hard drive.

Any ideas?

I'm hoping I'll be able to reflash the bios and cure this.

Kowood
11-27-2005, 11:25 PM
i doubt your bios got messed up...you CMOS settings could be however...this happened to me...but your motherboard manual should tell you how to reset your CMOS. it's rather easy.

George Morris
11-28-2005, 11:48 AM
I took the battery out and reset the CMOS that way. I went back into the bios and set things up and it now seems to work fine. Thank you for your help. I didn't even think of a reset.