PDA

View Full Version : problems with modules during boot process after remastering

mark_one
11-29-2005, 10:24 AM
hi everyone.
i wrote this into another forum section but i didn't get any answer. maybe you can help me.

first of all:
i use "damn small linux" version 2.0 and i'm trying to include a new kernel (2.6.6 instead of 2.4.31)

so here's what i did so far:
i compiled a new kernel (2.6.6) and the modules for it. then i compiled the cloop driver for this kernel (using the correct sources). i mounted the initrd24 and replaced the cloop driver and the modules of the old kernel (2.4.31) with the new ones. after that i gzipped it to initrd26 and put it into the boot folder, added a label to isolinux.cfg and tried to boot it. the kernel boots successfully and the initrd26 is loaded. then the linuxrc script is executed but there seem to be problems inserting the modules. the ide driver is inside the kernel so that's why i get as far as trying to insert the cloop driver
here are the last messages i got:

'insmod: QM_MODULES:' <--- should be the ide-cd module here
'Accessing DSL image at /dev/hdc/...insmod: QM_MODULES:' <--- should be the cloop.o driver

then i'm dropped to the 'limited shell'.
after this i changed the linuxrc script to see if that happens to other drivers. and... the same thing happens when the script tries to insert the ide-cd.o driver as you can see above. of course i changed file permissions to make sure that the drivers/directories are readable and executable.

well, here are the questions:
does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
where does the "insmod: QM_MODULES:' message come from?
is there a kernel-patch to include the cloop driver into the kernel? (i just found dead links in the forum)
why are the drivers not inserted correctly and why doesn't insmod complain about that?
by the way: modprobe doesn't complain in any way too.

i read so many postings in this forum but no one seems to have similar problems.
please help me out!!!

greetings
mark

firnsy
11-29-2005, 08:54 PM
I have seen this error before

insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
It was fixed by compiling the kernel with loadable module support ?

Also I believe QM_MODULES was removed when the 2.6.x kernel came out, thus you may have to update your insmod.

mark_one
11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
I have seen this error before

insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
It was fixed by compiling the kernel with loadable module support ?

Also I believe QM_MODULES was removed when the 2.6.x kernel came out, thus you may have to update your insmod.

hi.

thank you for answering but the error message just says
'insmod: QM_MODULES''
it says nothing about "Function not implemented'. but i think you're right. i'll try to update insmod. maybe it works.
thanks.

mark