PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Issues during startup

Kasanax
11-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi - Newbie here, so I apologize in advance for my probably stupid questions...

I'm trying to run Knoppix 4.0.2 from the Live DVD - the computer starts up fine, reads from the DVD drive, and begins to boot. But, just after starting XWindows, the monitor goes blank.

My monitor's power indicator goes from dark (off), to orange (on, but no input) to green (on, with input). When the screen goes blank, the indicator goes from green to orange.

I'm running a 3.39 GHz Dell Optiplex SX260, with 0.99 GB of RAM.

I've tried booting up in text-only mode (at the boot command line typing "knoppix 2"), and that works fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike from St. Louie

Harry Kuhman
11-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Any suggestions?
I don't know your particular equipment, but it sounds like Knoppix may be trying to boot with the video setting outside the range that the monitor will support. I would suggest looking in the cheat codes section of the wiki, found by following the documentation link near the top of this page, and try to force the video to something that you know the monitor likes. Cheat Codes are a perhaps unfortunate term for parameters passed to Knoppix at boot time to force some hardware settings when automatic hardware detection doesn't quite work or when you want to get a result different than what the default autodetection gives you.

UnderScore
11-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Dell Optiplex machines may need to have the shared video memory bumped up to 8MB in the BIOS. See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7159