PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix language change

snowspawn
11-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Hi I'm new to Knoppix and Linux for that matter and am currently booted in knoppix but my problem is is that everything is japanese I know some japanese but not enough to navigate extremely well so I was wondering if in someway I could either temporarily make it in english or if there is a way to change a file and burn a new CD to make it always boot in english. I am currently running v.3.9. Any help would be appreciated!

Harry Kuhman
11-30-2005, 06:16 AM
Where did you get your copy of what you think is Knoppix??? There is an official ISO that comes up in English, and there is an official ISO that boots into German. But I've never seen a Japanese version. If you have managed to find a Japanese remaster and you don't speak Japanese, I would suggest that you not use it. You might be able to force English with the EN cheat code (see the wiki section of cheat codes). I know this works with the German version, but who knows what has been changed in a Japanese version? I would suggest getting a new fresh English copy of the latest ISO (you want the one with EN in the name). And I would suggest using BitTorrent to download it rather than getting it from a mirror. Use the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page to get started.