PDA

View Full Version : ps2 mouse not working (tried cheats)

haelen
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi.

I'm new to Linux. This looks like a promising way to explore it. However, despite everything booting up well from the CD, my ps2 mouse is frozen. I've tried the command line boot cheat as well as switching to the text console (won't let me switch back to X-Screen though).

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Tim

Harry Kuhman
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
This is very strange, ps2 mice have always woked fine for me under Knoppix on many systems. Just a few thoughts:

You don't identify the make and model of the mouse or the computer; that information could be helpful.

If there is a small slide switch on the bottom of the mouse, try it in the other position.

Try a different mouse.

Lead a better life, this could be a karma thing.

Look in your system's BIOS for any mouse related settings.

haelen
11-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the prompt response.

>>You don't identify the make and model of the mouse or the computer; that information could be helpful.

Well, the mouse is just a 'generic' optical mouse.

PC: AMD Athlon XP1700+ , 1467 MHz , 256Kb cache

>>If there is a small slide switch on the bottom of the mouse, try it in the other position.

No dice (or switch) unfortunately.

>>Try a different mouse.

Not possible at this very minute - but I could buy an non-optical ps2 mouse as a spare I guess.

>>Lead a better life, this could be a karma thing.

Sainthood has alluded me thus far for some reason, so I had thought of the karma angle :lol:

>>Look in your system's BIOS for any mouse related settings.

What sort of thing should I be looking for?

Best,
Tim

haelen
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the prompt response.

>>You don't identify the make and model of the mouse or the computer; that information could be helpful.

Well, the mouse is just a 'generic' optical mouse.

>>If there is a small slide switch on the bottom of the mouse, try it in the other position.

No dice (or switch) unfortunately.

>>Try a different mouse.

Not possible at this very minute - but I could buy an non-optical ps2 mouse as a spare I guess.

>>Lead a better life, this could be a karma thing.

Sainthood has alluded me thus far for some reason, so I had thought of the karma angle :lol:

>>Look in your system's BIOS for any mouse related settings.

What sort of thing should I be looking for?

Best,
Tim

raviji7
12-15-2005, 03:15 AM
I have the same problem. I just did a harddrive install of Knoppix 4.0.2 on a Thinkpad T23 and except for sound everything else seemed to be working ok (sound was working ok with live cd but stopped working after harddrive install).

After 5 minutes of using knoppix, my trackpoint stopped working. So i rebooted, and trackpoint still doesn't work. I plugged in a USB mouse and that works fine, but my trackpoint still does not respond.

Harry Kuhman
12-15-2005, 03:50 AM
I have the same problem. I just did a harddrive install of Knoppix 4.0.2......
You don't have the same problem. The original poster stated clearly that they were booting from CD. Many things break after a hard disk install, if the mouse works for you when booting from CD then this is just another of them.