PDA

View Full Version : Cant format HD

little boo
11-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Well i think it'd be a good idea to tell the whole story.
It began with a .rar file that i tried to unrar. My Computer produced a bluescreen I didnt think about it and tryed to restart but Windows stopped at the startup logo. At the begin i thought it was the memory because of the bluescreen error message but after changing the RAM and graphic card i was sure that it coudn't be a hardware error so i tried out knoppix to save my important files.
Everything went well but when i tried to reinstall windows i got a strange error "cannot find any installed hard drives". Ok finally i found out that the SATA drivers were missing so i replaced them and put in the windows cd once again. This time i could chose between "repair" "reinstall" and "quit installation". I tried out repair to get into the console for formatting my C drive but again an error stopped me this time it was "194925 MB Harddrive0, ID=2, BUS=0 (an [an = german for on or at] visraid) checking drive ..." Normally this takes few seconds with SATA but i let my PC run the whole night and it was still "checking".
My next try was Partition Magic. This time i got the error "Cannot find dos press key to retry". So i updated my BIOS but i still get the same errors and cant format or reinstall anything.
So i thought about formatting my drive with Linux running or something like that
Can anyone help me out?
greetz boo
P.S. sorry for my bad english i hope you can understand it
P.P.S. sorry #2: if i got the wrong forum could an admin please move it?

OErjan
12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
try
sudo qtparted
QTparted "should" work ok with most disks.
of try cfdisk or fdisk in he console.
hmm, have you considered that the disk could be "bad".