PDA

View Full Version : I really thought Knoppix was different but it's not

Quip Frok
11-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Maybe I should have said better(you know...produce more of the desired effect)
but I chose different.

As I have progressed through the last 8 years with many distros I have always found that more recent certainly doesn't mean improved. I thought that was different with Knoppix. I think I started with 3.2 or something like that and just a few days ago my buddy d/l 'ed the latest for me cause when I popped in my new Audigy 2, sound quit. Now maybe you like making things work and so do I but not enough to spends days reading false threads or threads that are strict linuxspeak. So with the new 4.0.X whatever it is I got my sound back but my HARDWARE PCI USR modem support was dropped like rock( so was my 28.8 Sportster HARDWARE modem). I spent the last 2.5 days following all the threads and reading all the ditties and trying them out but nothing worked. Bummer. So unless some can tell me how to make my USR 56K 2977 modem work I'll just have to wait for a new distro.

If you can help or had my problem and fixed it I'd love to hear from you just don't send me to this link or I'll barf.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21064&highlight=usr+modem

I not slamming Knoppix I still like it I am just frustrated and I hope you puds will understand

Thanks

Quip Frok Qugat Frib

Quip Frok
12-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Went to eBay and bought an external USR 56K for .99 cents + $8 shipping.
It was even flashable to v .92

I am now connected as they say.

Quip

It wasn't a painless install but it was easy to figure out compared to the internal nonsense. Now if I could only remember my password