PDA

View Full Version : Xfree86 4.3.x

Viro
05-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Would it be possible to have the latest version of XFree86 with the next Knoppix ISO? The reason this is important is because it fixes quite a number of issues with Radeon cards (specifically lockups due to DRI).

Fabianx
05-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Would it be possible to have the latest version of XFree86 with the next Knoppix ISO? The reason this is important is because it fixes quite a number of issues with Radeon cards (specifically lockups due to DRI).

Knoppix does already use Xfree86 4.3. And it'll use the next available "unstable-Packages", that are available.

cu

Fabian

Viro
05-02-2003, 11:29 PM
I know it uses 4.3. And that's the problem. XFree86 4.3 has buggy Radeon support, quite a number of them were fixed in the very latest release (4.3.99??), release. This is something I'm quite keen to have on Knoppix, because I'm sure there are a lot of Radeon owners out there who don't want to have to recompile XFree86 from source (me included).

garyng
05-03-2003, 05:10 AM
This bring up an interesting thing about debian. Stable vs Unstable, version in Stable can be unstable for some and version in Unstable sometimes make things more stable :wink:

Fabianx
05-03-2003, 04:26 PM
I know it uses 4.3. And that's the problem. XFree86 4.3 has buggy Radeon support, quite a number of them were fixed in the very latest release (4.3.99??), release. This is something I'm quite keen to have on Knoppix, because I'm sure there are a lot of Radeon owners out there who don't want to have to recompile XFree86 from source (me included).

As I already said: Xfree 4.3.99 will be in Knoppix, when it is available in debian. I think it already is, so it will also be on next Knoppix. (or latest (28) dunno.)

What do you expect ? That someone recompiles XFree4.3 from Source only for Knoppix ?

With just one man, who does that ?

You can't seriously think that.

cu

Fabian

Viro
05-03-2003, 07:02 PM
No disrespect was intended. If its in the next Knoppix CD, cool :D . Otherwise, I'll just wait for it.