PDA

View Full Version : Locked myself out of Debian

giant_toaster
12-01-2005, 04:27 PM
OK, so everything is installed. I get to the Debian log-in screen, but when I put in my username and password it says it is incorrect...

I can use the root password, which I works, to boot in recovery mode, but I don't know what to type to sort it out....

Any ideas?

Rich

giant_toaster
12-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I have tried pressing cntl-alt-f1 to get to the prompt, and typing adduser, then my name. it creates a directory etc, then says, can't do that, and deletes them again...

What do I do????

I can't login using the graphical interface to KDE/Gnome at all, as you can't log in as root there....

Kowood
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
You can log in as root....You just have to configure it to do so. In the GNOME display manager, if that's what your using, there's like...Configuration thingies.

giant_toaster
12-04-2005, 08:28 PM
How do you do that?

I am in the initial first time you get asked to enter a password. It says, welcome to the KDE environment, and has a login and password. I can bypass this and just log in at the prompt, but obviously this isn't KDE! Typing add user doesn'y work... what do I need to do?

Rich

maxIT
12-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Do you have tryed in recovery mode (or ctrl-alt-f1) to type 'passwd user (user=your user name)' to change the user password?

giant_toaster
12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Do you have tryed in recovery mode (or ctrl-alt-f1) to type 'passwd user (user=your user name)' to change the user password?

I just tried that, but it says my username doesn't exist...

I think I must have messed up on installing...

Stiil, typing adduser creates a user, then deletes it again...

But my root user still exists...

Should I just reinstall Debian on top of what I have already installed, and try again? Will this mess up Grub?

What did I do wrong when I installed?

Thanks,

Rich

giant_toaster
12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Also, is there anyway to list the users that exist? Perhaps I made a spelling mistake somehow...

OErjan
12-05-2005, 09:13 PM
just look in the textfile /etc/passwd,

cat /etc/passwd