PDA

View Full Version : Radeon X300 vs. 9000 vs. Intel Ext. Graphics 2 (IBM R5x/T43)

belboz
12-01-2005, 06:14 PM
I have searched the documentation and wiki links without finding what seems to be a clear answer to the question of whether or not Knoppix (4.0.2, preferably) will operate satisfactorily with the video adapters listed here in general, and/or on the IBM laptops indicated. 1024x768 resolution would be fine if that turns out to be a maximum.

I realize an experiment would be appropriate, but it is difficult to find these machines to begin with, much less to run with a Live CD that many salespeople don't understand or trust to begin with.

Thank you for any advice or experience you can share.

Wayne

Kowood
12-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Pff. nVidia's mobility chips are far superior.

belboz
12-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Thank you; would a GeForce FX Go5200 live more happily with Knoppix .. ?

Wayne

OErjan
12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
most likely YES, and if you install Debian to HDD and install the Nvidia drivers (linux drivers are available from their homepage)you get equal to Win (some say slightly better/worce...)

Harry Kuhman
12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Thank you; would a GeForce FX Go5200 live more happily with Knoppix .. ?
Currently Knoppix does not contain either ATI nor Nvidia 3D drivers; my understanding is that the licensing for these does not permit it and this is an issue when people use Knoppix to remaster other CDs. So I personally think that you are wasting your time here; Knoppix works fine with many laptops, but it doesn't have 3D optimizations for any. Beyond that it's not clear to me what you want to do. If you want a fully optimized driver you might try talking to ATI or Nvidia but I suspect that you would be wasting your time. They make drivers available, but the end user has to incorporate them themselves (Not too bad a solution if you Install Debian or some other distro intended for hard disk, not good if you run Knoppix). But while they restrict the license for including Linux drivers on Live Linux CDs, they apparently pay Microsoft to be sure that their drivers are included in Windows. Go figure.

belboz
12-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Harry -- sorry for the lack of clarity. 3D isn't a concern to me. My interest is in having a resolution of at least 1024x768 for "desktop"-like work, and to avoid if possible any hw configuration which would cause Knoppix to fail to boot or otherwise be unusable outside of text windows. If any of these video cards can provide for such an outcome with or without cheat codes, that would be perfectly fine. A very old machine here (IBM X20) has an ATI Mobility-M adapter, and it and Knoppix co-exist nicely. Carrying that relationship forward into a better/faster laptop is the goal.

Wayne

OErjan
12-01-2005, 09:44 PM
I would say YES to that, even vesa driver can do that.