PDA

View Full Version : Internal WLAN in Notebook

oliju
12-02-2005, 03:16 AM
Hi!

First of all sorry for asking I installed Knoppix the first time today.

My problem: I have an Acer Travelmate 662LCI notebook with Centrino processor and therefore an internal wlan card. Unfortunately my Knoppix (installed on hard disk) does not find it. Furthermore i actually have no idea how to install new hardware or at least see what already is installed and which hardware is not.

KWifiManager tells me, there could be no WLAN hardware found on my computer.

Normal connection to the internet by cable works fine.

Can anybody help me please? :roll:

regards,

Oliver

rolfhub
12-03-2005, 10:35 PM
> Hi!
> First of all sorry for asking I installed Knoppix the first time today.

Well, that's what this forum is all about: asking questions and discussing things. No need to be sorry.

> My problem: I have an Acer Travelmate 662LCI notebook with Centrino processor and therefore an internal wlan card. Unfortunately my Knoppix (installed on hard disk) does not find it. Furthermore i actually have no idea how to install new hardware or at least see what already is installed and which hardware is not.

When you run "lspci" (or, for more information "lspci -v" (as root)), you should get a list of hardware present in your computer. That doesn't actually mean that every bit of hardware has a driver loaded, but if you paste the output of "lspci" and "lspci -v" here (on this forum), people will probably be able to help you.

> KWifiManager tells me, there could be no WLAN hardware found on my computer.

I think, the KWifiManager will only list hardware, if the corresponding drivers are loaded, so the first step is to load the correct drivers, then use KWifiManager.

> Normal connection to the internet by cable works fine.

> Can anybody help me please? Rolling Eyes
> regards,
> Oliver

Harry Kuhman
12-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I installed Knoppix the first time today.

Unfortunately my Knoppix (installed on hard disk) does not find it.
The LAN not working after a hard disk "install" is one of the most common problems with a hard disk install, and has been reported here many times for well over 3 years (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25) but yet never seems to get fixed in the install scripts. It is just one of the reasons why we advise (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it) new users to not try to "install" Knoppix to hard disk but to install a distro intended for hard disk like Debian instead. So the first question is did the network work fine when you booted from CD before this "install"? If so Knoppix supports your hardware fine; if not then it is a completely different issue. Assuming that the internal network works fine from CD, then I would suggest that you posted this in the wrong forum; it is a much better fit in the HD install forum, and I would suggest that you read through the many posts in that forum for solutions to this problem. You can scan the subject lines page by page and find may articles that will address this issue, and you may get a better feeling of other things that you are likely to experience after a Knoppix hard disk install. There are currently 148 pages of discussion of hard drive install issues, but it really doesn't take much time to scan the subject lines and find relavent posts on this topic.