PDA

View Full Version : Saving Config to Floppy

SerenityNet
05-01-2003, 07:42 PM
I'm using v3.2 and booting from CD. I'm running on an older HP Vectra with NTFS partitions, and therefore must use floppies (for several reasons) for any write functions.

I've tried saving my config files to both a separate floppy and to the boot floppy (created with rawrite2). With both, during boot, I get an error,

At the boot prompt I've tried both:
"knoppix myconfig=scan" and
"knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" and
"knoppix myconfig=/mnt/floppy" but I still get the error below.

Checking /mnt/for KNOPPIX configuration files...
Filesystem not autodetected, trying to mount /dev/ with AES256 encryption.
/dev/: Is a directory
Mount failed, retry? [Y/n]

What do I need to do to have my config restored from the floppy disk during boot. (And what is the /dev/ directory?)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

SerenityNet
05-02-2003, 09:06 PM
After hours and hours of reviewing posts and trying different combinations of cheat codes, I'm about ready to admit that it is impossible to load saved configs from a floppy to Knoppix running on CD. Which as neat and cool as it is, it makes Knoppix useless to me.

I'd really be interested if anyone has successfully accomplished loading configs from a floppy to Knoppix running on CD.

The closest I've seem to come is using "knoppix floppyconfig". It seems to be doing something, but then I'm prompted for a password. If I enter nothing or anything short of 20 characters then I'm prompted with something saying the password must be at least 20 characters. If I enter something 20 characters long then a message appears that says, "Mount: You must specify the filesystem type", but it gives me no prompt where to enter the type. It just goes back to the password prompt.

I've tried this with both ext2 and dos formatted floppy disks. I get the same problems with each.

I'd really enjoy seeing a solution to this. Knoppix running on CD and configs loaded from a floppy would be a great tool.

robk
05-02-2003, 10:14 PM
hi,
normally "knoppix floppyconf" is the right command for restoring from floppy, but I think one 3.2 release has got problems with the encryption. Which version do you have ? "knoppix myconf=scan" finds the "knoppix.sh" on other drives than floppy. All tried with version from 23.3.2003 and worked ok.

SerenityNet
05-02-2003, 10:31 PM
I downloaded the English v3.2 04-18-03, but it says "INIT Version 2.78-knoppix booting" during the boot process.

I just tried "knoppix floppyconf" and it just ingnored the floppy during boot. I tried "knoppix myconfig=floppyconf" and it said it was invalid and must start with /dev/ or /mnt/ or scan.

Thanks for the help with this. Any other suggestions to try?

I've got to run now. Will be back Sunday afternoon.

Thanks again,
Andrew

robk
05-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Your version seems to have problems with floppyconfig. See also http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2029&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
bye

thadry
05-07-2003, 07:24 PM
I played around with the myconfig line for the saved config on the floppy and figured out how to get it to work without displaying the AES256 message and here is what I found out.

If at the boot prompt you type.

knoppix myconfig=/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

All works well, have fun !!!!!!
:D

SerenityNet
05-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Thanks thadry, but I just saw your note and last night I downloaded the new version of Knoppix 3.2 (5-3-03 I think). Anyway, I'm not having any problem with "knoppix floppyconf" now. It works like a charm. But I'm going to stick you solution in my notes, in case I have future problems.

Thanks again,
Andrew

DavidTempler
05-25-2003, 11:59 AM
I had problems with floppyconf till I tried my cheat codes and added floppyconf as well and had no problems .I have even tried with myconf=scan it works too .

It would be even better if I only had to type myconf=scan but my screen & refresh do not work unless they are set first ...

If anyone knows how to cure this please let us know ?

D.T. :?