PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard

Superhezka
12-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Hi
i am brand new user of knoppix, I just have started from Today.
So far I ve learnt how to make commands on Linux by myself and seems that I should have studied more!

So here is situation, I have my keyboard attached to my laptop but if doesnt work
when I am using knoppix, I suspect this has something to do with "mnt".
Also i cannot go to any site from mozzila....To this, i have no idea.

Thanks in advance!!

SH

Superhezka
12-02-2005, 08:10 AM
here i am again....

I am using knoppix 3.7 on my fujitsu FM-V biblo MG9/850.....

rolfhub
12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
First of all, I think, the two problems have nothing to do with each other. So let's just deal with them one-by-one.

Keyboard: To help you, we need to know, how the keyboard is connected to your Laptop. There are three connection types for keyboards: DIN, PS/2 and USB (maybe there are even more, but I don't know any other). DIN is a (round) plug about 2 cm in diameter, PS/2 about 1 cm (also round). USB is rectangular. Which one do you have?

Mozilla: Have you tried any other browsers? Or any other program that tries to connect to any server on the internet?
You could also try the following:
- open a shell (for example "konsole" or "xterm")
- enter the following command: ping -c 4 www.heise.de
- paste the output of the ping command on this forum
- if the output contains "4 packets transmitted, 4 received", there is a problem with your browser (Mozilla)
- if the output contains "ping: unknown host", there seems to be something wrong with your internet connection

OErjan
12-04-2005, 01:11 PM
actually I know of four connection types, your three and serialport (comport), not comon but I have one.
EDIT and the RJ-11, RJ45 specials for some older consoles.../EDIT

rolfhub
12-04-2005, 02:53 PM
actually I know of four connection types, your three and serialport (comport), not comon but I have one.
Interesting ... I never encountered one of those, I only know comport-mice, but no comport-keyboards.

EDIT and the RJ-11, RJ45 specials for some older consoles.../EDIT
I don't know much about older consoles, but isn't that a strange use for RJ-x? I allways thought, RJ-11 for telephony, RJ-45 for Ethernet ...

OErjan
12-04-2005, 03:09 PM
there where a BUNCH of weird conectors in the 70' and 80's, even some in the 90's. I have no RJx keyboards but I have seen them often enough.

rolfhub
12-04-2005, 03:57 PM
there where a BUNCH of weird conectors in the 70' and 80's, even some in the 90's. I have no RJx keyboards but I have seen them often enough.

Ah, I see. I started computing in 1994, so I don't know much about the really old hardware (or software). Anyway i'm glad that there aren't that many connectors nowadays.