PDA

View Full Version : Info on Knoppix

Suunsu
12-30-2002, 12:26 AM
:D
Greetings all,

To say that I was pleased with this version of Linux, would be an understatement. It is great.

I do have a few questions:

1) Will Knoppix allow me to download programs to a Windows formated Hard disk?

2) It reconised my sound card and said that it was not supported. Is there a schedule id update releases?

3)Where will/is the best place to find updates? and will the updated be hard to install?

Loper
12-31-2002, 04:47 PM
<snip>
Will Knoppix allow me to download programs to a Windows-formatted hard disk?
</snip>

This is the only part of this that I CAN answer -- yes, with the following notes:

1. The disk must be formatted with the FAT file system (FAT16 or FAT32), as NTFS is read-only access under KNOPPIX. If you have Win9x, you are using FAT by default. If you are using Win 2000 or XP, you can choose either one; on my Win XP system, I have one partition set up as FAT32 SPECIFICALLY for shared access.

2. Write-access must be turned ON for each drive you wish to write to. It is turned OFF by default.

aay
01-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Do you have an on board sound card in addition the one you are trying to use? If so, go into your bios and disable it. A number of people who have on board sound cards but actually use something like Soundblaster have had this problem. Switching the bios should fix it.

BlckJck
01-22-2003, 07:44 AM
1. The disk must be formatted with the FAT file system (FAT16 or FAT32), as NTFS is read-only access under KNOPPIX. If you have Win9x, you are using FAT by default. If you are using Win 2000 or XP, you can choose either one; on my Win XP system, I have one partition set up as FAT32 SPECIFICALLY for shared access.

I have been able to read and write with no problems to my NTFS file system. The file system was created by Winblows 2K.

As far as the sound card, depending on what type of card you have, there may be the correct module that can be loaded. If you do get it to work, then send your sound card info to Klaus and he will work it into the detection.

www.tldp.org Is a good site for how-to's including how to get your sound card to work. Specificaly http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Sound-HOWTO.html

aay
01-22-2003, 03:07 PM
BlckJck,

This is from the FAQ at the Linux NTFS Project
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2

"Can the Driver write to an NTFS volume, too?

Not really.

There are two drivers, currently. The original driver, in 2.4 has some write code in it, but it is extremely dangerous to use it. The possibility of destroying your filesystem is very high.

The new driver, introduced in 2.5.11, has some write code, but it's very limited. The driver can overwrite existing files, but it cannot change the length, add new or delete existing files.

Adding write support will take a long time. NTFS is built like a database. Any changes you make, necessitate making changes in many places, for consistancy. Make a mistake and the filesystem will be damaged, make too many mistakes and the filesystem will be destroyed. Also, the current developers are only working on NTFS as a hobby, during their free time."

That being said you may have been able to write to an NTFS partition but it's quite unsafe to do so: not recommended.

BlckJck
01-22-2003, 03:17 PM
:shock: I have been lucky then. That being read and said, I will stick to RO until NTFS write is better. Thanks.

penguin
02-01-2003, 03:17 AM
I've got Soundblaster Live 1024, I had to turn off the Plug n Play option in the BIOS menu to get it work...

Sucker
02-08-2003, 10:39 PM
[quote

2. Write-access must be turned ON for each drive you wish to write to. It is turned OFF by default.[/quote]

How do I turn on write-access? tia

RockMumbles
02-09-2003, 06:42 PM
2. Write-access must be turned ON for each drive you wish to write to. It is turned OFF by default.
If you're using KDE, right click on the hd icon and select "change read-write status" (it's something similar, I may be slightly wrong in the wording as I'm not on a knoppix system now).

From a command line it's:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -oremount,rw

Note: replace hda1 in both places with the proper partition device number.

HTH

rock