PDA

View Full Version : boot cd/dvd only works for a limited time

morrisonk
12-05-2005, 12:01 AM
i burned the dvd iso image onto a cd, and started to use knoppix. it worked three times, and now when i try to boot up the disc, it doesn't work and loads into windows instead.

i configured the bios so it boots from the cd/dvd drive first.

i'm on a dell inspiron 2200 notebook
1.7ghz, 512mb ram, 70gig hd

any suggestions?

Harry Kuhman
12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Please edit your original post and change the subject line.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574

morrisonk
12-05-2005, 01:53 AM
i edited it......

Harry Kuhman
12-05-2005, 02:01 AM
i've tried looking for related topics, but i can't find anything. jebus.
1) I said nothing about related topics, it's your subject line that is the issue. If everyone used subject lines like "help me", "question" or "I'm a noob" then the forums would become useless for lookimg up any information.

2) You didn't exactly pick the best forum for posting in either, since we have a booting forum where this would seem to be a much better fit. Sure, there is some crossover, and you might have a laptop, but having a laptop doesn't mean that any question you ask about Knoppix is laptop related and belongs in the laptop forum. I could move this to the booting forum for you, but I will do nothing at all to help posts with subject lines like "question".

morrisonk
12-07-2005, 03:00 AM
lol, thanks for the help everyone! i figured it out myself. i'd share, but i don't want to. :D

Harry Kuhman
12-07-2005, 04:39 AM
lol, thanks for the help everyone! i figured it out myself. i'd share, but i don't want to. :D
No problem. As I said in the link I gave you; I have a policy of not helping when the subject line is lame. Maybe others are starting to do the same. Going back and editing your old post may have been a mistake; you did it after I last responded to your post. But since you did it as a revision to an old post instead of a new post I never was notified of the addition and didn't revisit the thread, otherwise I would have made some suggestions.

Glad to hear that your problem is resolved. Glad to get the "i'd share, but i don't want to" information, I'll make a note of that.

Capt. Cautious
05-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Morrisonk,
While you had a valid question and could have had more help, the manner in which your reply to the moderator/post was so indicative of the kind of selfishness that gives people a bad impression of Linux/related and the folks who use it, I am surprized that you posted at all.
I haven't done a lot of posts and I too have erred, but if you put your bloody EGO back where it belongs learning is a cooperative process, you might actually save yourself much time and hassle. It is good that you figured it out, but your selfishness ( and it's expression ) deprives the next would be techie from learning too.
I have sometimes thought of being a moderator, but after I see what these great volunteers have to put up with I think I'll pass until I too learn more patience. Harry - GREAT JOB!! :)
As ever
I Remain ~ In Service & In Health,
Captain Cautious