PDA

View Full Version : X window system doesn't start, booting freezes

Mirag3
12-07-2005, 03:16 AM
When ever i start it up everything works fine, but when i get to the x server starting the thing freezes. when i boot into text mode its fine, but not x window. also, when i go into expert to try to manually configure, it says something like ".../lib/X11/...something.a: file something .a not recognized", and the general error is modprobe: FATAL: Failed the insert apm module,etc. i have a HP zd8000 laptop with a 1400x900 monitor and an Ati Mobility Radeon X600 256MB. I have burned the cd 4 times, and the md5sum checks out, so its definitely not the image/burn. I don't understand this, because all the previous versions of knoppix have worked for me.

Harry Kuhman
12-07-2005, 04:45 AM
I have burned the cd 4 times, and the md5sum checks out, so its definitely not the image/burn. I don't understand this, because all the previous versions of knoppix have worked for me.
Glad to hear you checked the MD5 and it certainly sounds like it's an issue with the ATI hardware rather than a burn issue, but I would still do the testcd cheat code to be sure. Also, not sure which previous versions you used, but a few versions turned dma on by default; it's back off now, you might want to try booting with the DMA cheat code to try forcing it on.