PDA

View Full Version : HD Install User Change How To

Stephen
05-01-2003, 11:29 PM
I don't know how many of you have been annoyed with not being able to create your own user when you install to the hard drive as I was but I have succeded in changing the install to have your own user instead of the default knoppix user after the install completes. The steps required to do this are documented in the Hd Install User Change How To (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallUserChangeHowTo) so anybody interested may want to check it out. As always this worked for me YMMV.

rickenbacherus
05-02-2003, 05:50 PM
As always you post a nice how-to but apparently I was unaware that people were having trouble with adduser.

aay
05-03-2003, 04:43 AM
Stephen,

Great work. Couldn't this be put to use in the hdinstall script itself? This is one of the things that really bugs me about doing a Knoppix hdinstall. Perhaps you should try posting this to the developers list and see what happens. This is REALLY something that should be done automatically at install.

rickenbacherus
05-03-2003, 05:06 AM
This is one of the things that really bugs me about doing a Knoppix hdinstall.

aay- adduser didn't work for you either? Huh- how did I get so lucky every time I installed? I know I've installed at least four versions and never had any problems. Also some folks I spoke w/ via email had no problems with it. I dunno..........

Stephen
05-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Stephen,

Great work. Couldn't this be put to use in the hdinstall script itself? This is one of the things that really bugs me about doing a Knoppix hdinstall. Perhaps you should try posting this to the developers list and see what happens. This is REALLY something that should be done automatically at install.

Thanks, that's what I always thought and I don't see any reason why it could not be included with the magic them boys pull off in those scripts it can't be too hard to make changes in about 15 lines in three files. It's probably just a case of missing the obvious.

Stephen
05-04-2003, 01:42 AM
You now only have to modify the knx-hdinstall script itself.

god
05-04-2003, 02:53 AM
i had no issues... I think a better thing to change would be that you can only install to 1 partion, unlike most distros....