PDA

View Full Version : A new user who needs help.

[c]
12-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Hello, my name is [c], and i am very new to linux, [i divorced windows yesterday], and i am useing knoppix 3.7 with a HD install.

Everything works great, though, i have a few issues,

1. Every onc ein awhile i open a program, and it doesn't respond, and it won't close, and right now, i have a bunch of uncloseable programs running, and they won't respond to anything.

2. How to set up a generic 'ps2'to'pc' joystick adapter

3. how do view system preformance, how much memory is base OS useing, etc...

4. my HD is 8gigs, the knoppix installation is 3 gigs, surely there is programs or stuff i can get rid of to reduce the OS size abit?

Most of the terms etc in the faq i didn't understand, so i gave up trying to figure out what to do.

maxIT
12-08-2005, 06:48 PM
]
1. Every onc ein awhile i open a program, and it doesn't respond, and it won't close, and right now, i have a bunch of uncloseable programs running, and they won't respond to anything.

Maybe you can handle this issue by invoking 'ksysguard', almost the same as the win-keys ctrl_alt_del services list, but not as simple requiring some knowlege about linux signals such as SIGKILL, SIGSTOP etc..

]
3. how do view system preformance, how much memory is base OS useing, etc...

Once again 'ksysguard' in gui mode or 'top' on shell.

]
4. my HD is 8gigs, the knoppix installation is 3 gigs, surely there is programs or stuff i can get rid of to reduce the OS size abit?

I think that there is lot of stuff that many people doesn't need in knoppix but it depend on individuals.
Just two hints. Knoppix come with many windows managers and cutting off those unused can save some disk space. OpenOffice is a big beast and if you doesn't care about microsfot-office compatibility you can replace it with the slimmer koffice. I will suggest you documenting about the apt-get purge remove' command as tool for removing.

Harry Kuhman
12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Please edit your first post and change your subject line. If all users posted with subject lines like "I need help" or "help me" the forums would be useless for anyone trying to search through the subjects to find information. See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574