PDA

View Full Version : HD not mounted

Spartanicus
12-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm booting Knoppix on an old Laptop, it's bios can only see HDs up to approx 6G. The fitted HD is 20G, to circumvent the bios limitation I use a driver supplied with the Seagate drive. The drive has 2 FAT32 partitions on it with the bootmanager from W2k, W98 is the primary OS.

Knoppix doesn't mount the HD, I can't remember if the bios limitation of only being able to see HDs up to a certain size applies to Linux or not.

There are 2 ways to boot from a CD on my laptop, one is after the Seagate driver has loaded, the other before the driver loads. I tried both, neither method causes the HD to be mounted when booting Knoppix.

Any tips on this?

irlandes
12-10-2005, 09:12 PM
I think by memory from last summer when I tried a number of live CD's, that Knoppix is specifically designed not to mount the HD. That's why it's called a Live CD. Is there an icon for the HD? If so, try right-clicking on that icon, and see if there is a menu comes up which allows you to mount read only. If so, then once mounted, next right-cllick will let you change to write mode.

Since this is by memory and I did a number of live CD's, it may well be that I am thinking of another Live CD. Try it for yourself.

If you have already tried this, please accept my apology for misunderstanding you.