PDA

View Full Version : Copying to RAM from hd

Yin
12-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi,
I'm currently trying to load Knoppix to ram like the copytoram does, can it be done from the hard disk installation if possible?

Thanks for any help.
Yin

irlandes
12-15-2005, 07:14 PM
but that sounds a bit oxymoronic.

Since linux is an international activity, let me translate that word. An oxymoron is something which at a glance cannot be. An example is:
"honest politician". :)

copytoram by definition is a live cd function, designed to both keep HD untouched, and free Cd reader for write functions, and trying to do it from an installed, decompressed HD version is highly unlikely.

If you want that, place live CD in cd reader, and boot with copytoram cheat code.

If I misunderstand, accept my most humble apology, no desire to offend.

If you do find a way, let us know.

Harry Kuhman
12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm currently trying to load Knoppix to ram like the copytoram does, can it be done from the hard disk installation
Let me ask several questions here:

How much ram do you have?

What sort of hard drive install did you do? In particular, did you uncompress the cloop file into about 2 gig of programs (or more if using the DVD)?

Why would you want to read the hard disk and copy all of those programs (if you could) into RAM, when you could instead just load the one that you want to run from hard disk when running it?

Why would you want to load many programs that you are not going to run at all into RAM?

What made you think it was a good idea to install Knoppix in the first place? (I'm asking because having made one post you are clearly not a active and frequesnt member of these forums, and I'm trying to understabd why so many new users want to install a Live CD).