PDA

View Full Version : Intel 536ep WinModem

XraY
12-10-2005, 07:39 PM
I have tried, and tried to install this freaking modem for 3 days now, and it still doesn't work.
I started with the program ScanModem, it gave me a path to a driver, I downloaded the driver from linmodems.technion.ac.il, followed the instructions and it gave me an error. Well, actualy it gave me two errors when i try "make 536ep", and another for "make install"(obviously). They are referenced by numbers (Error 2, and respectively Error 1).
The modem is on COMM 3 in Windows, and ttyS2 gives me a "Modem is Busy" message.
If anyone has a solution out there, please be explicit, because I am a 3 day old Linux user :wink:

tdjokic
12-10-2005, 11:16 PM
The modem is on COMM 3 in Windows, and ttyS2 gives me a "Modem is Busy" message. No, this modem is not ttyS2. Winmodems are /dev/modem, but you must first install driver. And this is sometimes very tricky job. You need to be very patient and careful.

There is also a short-cut: Mepis Linux has integrated support for Intel536ep out of the box, it works in Live and installed mode. I have my own experience with Lucent, but with Intel536ep it is second hand information, I can't garanty you.

Intel536ep is good modem.

chazim
12-15-2005, 05:19 AM
That's interesting....

I fired up Mepis on My Dell C640 in "Demo mode", which has Dell's DP/N 0E828 a PC Tel modem. And, to my supprise,
KDE's, Kppp dialer accepted it, under the demo installed name. Actualy connected and am posting this at 50.666 Bps.

Hummm??? What file or, files exactly make Mepis, Kppp version work with a software modems, And, Why can't one just copy or transfered them into Knoppix?

chazim

tdjokic
12-15-2005, 06:55 AM
I fired up Mepis on My Dell C640 in "Demo mode", which has Dell's DP/N 0E828 a PC Tel modem. And, to my supprise,
KDE's, Kppp dialer accepted it, under the demo installed name. Actualy connected and am posting this at 50.666 Bps.
Thank you for this very good information, important for many users!

Hummm??? What file or, files exactly make Mepis, Kppp version work with a software modems, And, Why can't one just copy or transfered them into Knoppix?
This is very complicated. There are about 6 very common winmodems. You will need all of them in Knoppix. I doubt very much that this files from Mepis will match in Knoppix because of meny diferent parameters and so on. Some (?) files you are asking for are here: /lib/modules/2.6.10/modem and /lib/modules/2.4.29/modem