PDA

View Full Version : modem

davidebond
12-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi,
I'm a new user of Knoppix 3.3. I've installated with Virtual PC 7.0.2. on my ibookG4, running Mac OS X 10.4.3. Tiger. I've found some problems... First of all, I'm unable to connect with internet. Knoppix tells me that the modem is busy. I've tried with ttyS03. I've tried with Kppp and, obviously with terminal, modfitying the file on issue. Second, Knoppix is unable to see my Printer, and my Photocamera. Finally, I cannot copy files from a mounted cdrom in a directory of Knoppix.

Is there one able to help me?

Thanks,

davide

irlandes
12-10-2005, 10:08 PM
First, post what type of modem you have. I have no idea what your background is, but most internal modems are what is called winmodems, which many of us call other then real modems. They are essentially audio interface circuits, and the modem function is created by windows software, thus helping create a MS monopoly.

Lucent modems have drivers. Conexant modems have drivers, but they were only free for kernel 2.4, cost once per lifetime for 2.6 kernel. Um, actually you can get free 14K driver, but to make it faster, need to pay like $15, and don't lose the enable code they give you, works after reinstall and on other machines.

There are other drivers with which I have no experience. Try google, be ready to dig.

One solution for fixed-place computers is to buy an external modem, newer machines won't take serial plug, but some have said they have external USB modems.

I forget URL something like www.linuxmodems.org or singular, google works.

mjolnir
12-11-2005, 12:56 PM
I have had good luck using a U.S.ROBOTICS V.92 external modem and a usb-to-serial converter.

davidebond
12-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks to both.
I've tried something and now Knoppix see my modem. I'm able to connect in internet with knoppix, but the connection is very slow. So I connect with Tiger first, and then open surf with Knoppix. I've other problems... In any case, Knoppix is very very slow. It needs minutes to open Mozilla, for example. The speed of my Processor is 800Mhz and I've over 600 Ram, the upper limit for an ibook.

Hi,

davide

OErjan
12-11-2005, 07:15 PM
you are running it in an emulator? no wonder it is SLOW!! that gives at best 25% of what it would be on real hardware.