PDA

View Full Version : Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount block (3,2)

Volgin
12-11-2005, 10:27 AM
I have just installed Knoppix 4.0 on to my HD. After the installation I get a Kernel Panic that I have no idea of why it is happening???? My settings for grub are:

root (hd0,1)
Kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro ### isk_size=100000 init =/etc initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault

boot

I know that I have the right partition because it is hda2.

can anyone help me?? Also just so you know I am a beginner with linux so be gentle and patient with me :)

irlandes
12-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Believe it or not, there is some missing info. What other partitions are in use, and for what? And, where did you put the bootloader?

If you have another linux partition, at least at first, install boot loader in Knoppix partition, and go to main Linux distro and tell it to chainload.

Something like this:

root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

Google for Grub manual version 0.97 and use their format, since most of us don't have that much experience.

For example, ### means nothing to me, though it may be correct. Also, isk means nothing to me.

And, it is normal to put

initrd /boot/initrd on a different line.

And, if Win is present, linux usually starts at hda5.

At a terminal, df will give you some info on where you are, though it only includes mounted parttions, of course.But, do doublecheck it, since many problems are often very simple things, not the highly abstruse.

oddfellow514
12-17-2005, 06:29 PM
I get exactly the same results. Since I cannot boot, I can't make any changes to Grub, or see what it is. Any other suggestions out there??

oddfellow514
12-18-2005, 03:17 AM
I gave up using the "like CD" installation option and used the "debian like" (recommended) option and it seemed to boot just fine. I found that it was almost exactly like the CD version.

xnok
12-25-2005, 05:36 AM
I get exactly the same results. Since I cannot boot, I can't make any changes to Grub, or see what it is. Any other suggestions out there??

I have the same problem, and this may help:

Machine: Dell GX150, P3 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 20 GB HD, two NICs, latest BIOS

It boots fine from the 4.0.2 CD, but get the same Kernel panic messsage after I install to the harddisk with the Recommended option. My HD configuration is: /dev/hda1 2GB swap; /dev/hda2 8GB /; /dev/hda3 9GB data -- /dev/hda2 correctly maps to hd(0,1) in the grub.conf file... However, /dev/hda2 shows up as being formated as ext3, reiserfs regardless of how qtparted formatted it -- I have explicitly formatted it to ext2, and it still gets autodetected as ext3 or reiserfs. Repartitioning to a single / partition, about 18GB does not help.

In contrast, the prior version I tried 3.8.6 (?) works flawlessly, either from the CD or installed to the harddisk.

Any ideas?

krishna

xnok
12-25-2005, 05:37 AM

I have the same problem, but have not found the fix yet -- this may help identify the cause:

Machine: Dell GX150, P3 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 20 GB HD, two NICs, latest BIOS

It boots fine from the 4.0.2 CD, but get the same Kernel panic messsage after I install to the harddisk with the Recommended option. My HD configuration is: /dev/hda1 2GB swap; /dev/hda2 8GB /; /dev/hda3 9GB data -- /dev/hda2 correctly maps to hd(0,1) in the grub.conf file... However, /dev/hda2 shows up as being formated as ext3, reiserfs regardless of how qtparted formatted it -- I have explicitly formatted it to ext2, and it still gets autodetected as ext3 or reiserfs. Repartitioning to a single / partition, about 18GB does not help.

In contrast, the prior version I tried 3.8.6 (?) works flawlessly, either from the CD or installed to the harddisk.

Any ideas? I am all out of ideas....

krishna