PDA

View Full Version : What wireless Card

notoriouslou1022
12-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok christmas time... What wireless card is gerented to work this linux... Please reply fast x mas is almost here... thanks

UnderScore
12-12-2005, 07:21 AM
I have a netgear wg511t that works with linux.

OErjan
12-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a netgear MA401 that works out of box

I also had a D-link DWL650+ that worked (sort of) with the driver at http://acx100.sourceforge.net/

Now I have a SMC [EZ Connect G] SMCWCB-G, works great with the madwifi driver
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo

thellamafarm
12-13-2005, 02:11 AM
well what wireless usb adapter work s garunteed

mjolnir
12-14-2005, 10:20 PM
DWL-122 with Knoppix 3.7

Harry Kuhman
12-14-2005, 11:25 PM
DWL-122 with Knoppix 3.7
That's meaningless in so many ways. Dlink (and many others) tend to use completely different chipsets to make the same wireless card model number, just changing the revision or version number of the card and incuding different windows drivers with the different versions. I have a pair of Dlink cards that Knoppix has never recognized, but have seen others report that the same model card worked fine for them, only to track down that they had different revision numbers of the cards with different chipsets. Also, of course, what works with Knoppix 3.7 is pretty meningless any more; it would even be hard to find a copy of 3.7 available for download if one did want a version of Knoppix that old.

I doubt that the question can be answered at all if you just give a make and model number and not spell out what version of the card you have tested and even what chipset it uses. At least some times the version/revision number is on the box somewhere (I believe it is in the case of most Dlink cards). But if someone wants me to stick my neck out and promise that a wireless card will work with Knoppix, I just can't do it. All I can do is post my working card in the wireless networking section of the wiki (which I have done) and try to encourage others who get cards working to do the same.

chazim
12-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry if it sounds a little wacked, but, your missing the point....
It's not per say, what cards are garanteed to work with Knoppix or, other OS's...
It's what chipsets the linux kernel currently supports, that makes a card work, or, not work.
This is why only some D-link cards work. Because even though they're the same model, the OEM may have changed chipsets due to parts availability.
So, it will remain the luck of the draw in finding a working card, till more chipsets are recognized and support by the kernel.
And, it's still a rocky road, because most of us new to linux, aren't confident enough, yet, to compile an new Kernels, even though the support or driver files,
in most cases, may allready be available.
So my point is, it might be a better approach to detail which chipsets are supported, in the search for cards that works.
When you go to the store, ask for a card that uses a know chipset and dis-reguard the brand, and you should be ok.