PDA

View Full Version : Post-install DVD drive problems

stupidflanders
05-02-2003, 12:28 PM
hi all,

after using Mandrake a bit, I decided to try installing Knoppix, which always worked beautifully from CD. the Debian world of HDD-installed Knoppix is a bit strange and bewildering but for the most part successful. one thing missing (and sorely missed) were desktop icons for my CD-RW drive and DVD drive. with a bit of tinkering I got a working icon for the CD drive but have had no success with the DVD drive, which Knoppix always recognised. after creating an icon with the mount command "/dev/cdrom1" (as recognised by Knoppix) I get "mount point /dev/cdrom1 does not exist." a quick look at /etc/fstab (see, I DO learn from the Forums!) I confirmed there is indeed only one entry for a cdrom drive. as a bit of a noob with just enough knowledge to REALLY mess things up, I've hit a dead end with ideas. can anyone point me in the right direction to get my DVD drive recognised and a working icon to open it?

TIA

rickenbacherus
05-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Try here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2123#9935)

Also just search for 'fstab' and you'll find lots of info. As always, post back with any questions.

Fabianx
05-03-2003, 06:58 PM
hi all,

after using Mandrake a bit, I decided to try installing Knoppix, which always worked beautifully from CD. the Debian world of HDD-installed Knoppix is a bit strange and bewildering but for the most part successful. one thing missing (and sorely missed) were desktop icons for my CD-RW drive and DVD drive. with a bit of tinkering I got a working icon for the CD drive but have had no success with the DVD drive, which Knoppix always recognised. after creating an icon with the mount command "/dev/cdrom1" (as recognised by Knoppix) I get "mount point /dev/cdrom1 does not exist." a quick look at /etc/fstab (see, I DO learn from the Forums!) I confirmed there is indeed only one entry for a cdrom drive. as a bit of a noob with just enough knowledge to REALLY mess things up, I've hit a dead end with ideas. can anyone point me in the right direction to get my DVD drive recognised and a working icon to open it?

TIA

Just do as root:

rebuildfstab -r

Then as normal user:

mkdesktophdicons

Then you have again your icons.

cu

Fabian

aay
05-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Just do as root:

rebuildfstab -r

Then as normal user:

mkdesktophdicons

Then you have again your icons.

cu

Fabian

Fabian,

That sounds like an excellent way to deal with one of the issues I brought up over here ('http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2243'). It still seems to me however that this ought to be done at install. It's one less thing for the noob to have to worry about at install.

Thanks again.

aay
05-03-2003, 08:31 PM
stupidflanders,

If you are wanting to play actual DVD's, you might want to look over here ('http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing') for some further tips. Note espcially the need to enable DMA. The hdinstall script used to not enable DMA for the hard drive itself upon install, but that was changed. DMA is still not enabled for cd/dvd's however. Without this your DVD's will probably be choppy. Mine were anyways until I enabled DMA.

stupidflanders
05-04-2003, 11:57 PM
thanks for all the tips, everyone! I plan to try again this evening after work. in regard to the last post, I'm not really interested in watching DVDs on my box, I just want to access the Linux Format magazine DVDs I get each month. again, thanks for the help - this community is certainly one of the best I've seen.

Mark

Superstoned
09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
If you want to automount your h-disks, you just have to change in /ets/fstab the part "noauto" after your h-disks into "auto"...
(you can also assure there that your hda1 is named "windows":
- first unmount, then rename in /mnt hda1 to windows
- then rename in fstab "/mnt/hda1" into "/mnt/windows")