PDA

View Full Version : How come when im on Overclockix my internet doesnt work....

kidder550
12-13-2005, 03:49 AM
hello,

Why is that when im on my livecd (overclockix) my internet does not work? works on windows but not on livecd...

Please help if you can,

THank you

UnderScore
12-13-2005, 03:52 AM
There is no way any of us can help you if you do not supply us with network info: what is your network card? Do you use a DSL modem? A cable modem? A telephone modem?
Please describe your home network settings.

tdjokic
12-13-2005, 04:25 AM
Do you use a DSL modem? A telephone modem?

- USB DSL modem?
- Ethernet DSL modem, with or without router?
- winmodem telephone modem?
- external, serial telephone modem?
- external USB telephone modem?

kidder550
12-13-2005, 04:27 AM
i have ethernet DSL modem, with a router

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2005, 05:37 AM
i have ethernet DSL modem, with a router
With a router (except for a few rare cases of strange routers), you just Boot Knoppix and start using your high speed connection; no setup needed at all (it gets it by DHCP from the router).

kidder550
12-13-2005, 05:48 AM
thats weird then cuz i cant go on the internet at all

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2005, 05:54 AM
thats weird then cuz i cant go on the internet at all
That means little unless you tell us what is actually happening. I had this discussion with someone else recently and when he finally put a URL into the Knoquror browser that starts with Knoppix he found that he was already on the Internet.

As I said, there have been a few reports that a router does not do DHCP properly. I have seen this on an old Belkin router. To test for this run netcardconfig and try to do a DHCP setup. Does it fail?

If it does fail, you can try to manually set the parameters into netcardconfig by answering the first question in the negative.

It might help if you told us what your network interface card is.

kidder550
12-13-2005, 06:08 AM
well i have a linksys router. and i just went on its homepage to see everything that it supports and what not and it does support DHCP and it is enabled. And whats happening is i click to go onto the internet and it said that it can not find site www.google.com

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2005, 06:10 AM
What happens when you run netcardconfig?

What is your NIC?

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2005, 06:11 AM
By the way, my Linksys handshakes with Knoppix fine, so it may not be a DHCP problem at all. Still want to know what your Network Interface is.

kidder550
12-13-2005, 06:19 AM
how do i find out what my Network Interface is? Sorry im new to all this..

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2005, 06:45 AM
how do i find out what my Network Interface is? Sorry im new to all this..
Oh, where to start?

Are you using a wired ethernet connection, a wireless connection, or something evil?

Are you on a notebook or desktop?

If wired, is the ethernet connection plugged into the motherboard or a PCI card in one of the slots?

If plugged into the motherboard, what is the motherboard (or make and model of the computer).

If plugged nto a PCI card, you need to determine what card was used. You can do this either by opening the box and looking at the card, or by going into Windows control pannel and looking at the device manager under the system setting and expanding the part of device manager marked network adapters and telling us what it says.

kidder550
12-13-2005, 07:00 AM
1. Wired ethernet connection
2. Desktop
3. motherboard
4. ABIT NF8 Series

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Anyone out there running this Abit motherboard that can tell us Knoppix's status with it?

Also, check your motherboard manual. If this is a 10/100 ethernet it almost certainly is supported by Knoppix. If it's a 10/100/1000 there might be problems but Knoppix is getting much better. I would also suggest that you get the latest version of Knoppix, 4.0.2. I have no idea what version of Knoppix your Overclockix is based on, but there is a good chance that it may be based on an older version of Knoppix that didn't support this NIC but the current Knoppix would.

kidder550
12-14-2005, 03:09 AM
This is where i got it: http://overclockix.octeams.com/
And i downloaded 3.4 V3

kidder550
12-14-2005, 04:09 AM
ok well i just checked and 3.4 V3 is the older version. duh im stupid. lol. well im dowloading the newest one which is 3.79 or something like that. so hopefullly this will work :). ill let u guys know probably tomarrow to see if the newer version worked. thx a lot for all ur guy's help again.

Harry Kuhman
12-14-2005, 05:33 AM
ok well i just checked and 3.4 V3 is the older version. duh im stupid. lol. well im dowloading the newest one which is 3.79 or something like that.
Is there a reason why you didn't download Knoppix 4.0.2? Since Overclockix is based on Knoppix it would seem reasonable to start with Knoppix and see if the current version will support your hardware. If not then it's unlikely Overclockix will. If Knoppix 4.0.2 does support your hardware and you still want Overclockix then you could see if Overclockix was new enough to support the hardware too.

kidder550
12-15-2005, 12:58 AM
i have a buddy that said that i need certain driver's to go on the internet when im on overclockix. so i guess im going to try and download a driver for it and hopefully it will work

kidder550
12-15-2005, 07:18 AM
also i do have to type: knoppix noapic (which is a cheat, im sure u guys know that) does that have to do with anything about me not being able to get on the internet?