PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix v4.0 and DELL 1350 WLAN card ???? no workee-

vern96
12-14-2005, 10:53 PM
I have a DELL laptop and am trying to network it while using Knoppix v4.0.

It has the DELL 1350 WLAN Mini yada-yada-yada....... it does not recognize it, but it does see my onboard ethernet (RJ45) port.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated..... I am a NEWBIE to LINUX, using this to learn the OS

chazim
12-15-2005, 03:24 PM
I take it your refering to the Dell 1350 internal PCI card in the laptop?
If so, I can take you as up to as far as Kwifimanager.

Here's what I found:

First, open "Network card config" on the Knoppix menu, and choose "eth0"
set "Broadcasr DHCP" to "No" , then enter the port addresses manualy. (I don't know why, but, mine doesn't accept the DHCP setting yet)

Second: open "Wave lan config" again manualy enter the requested information.
(the section on "sens -80" appeard to be wrong for most cards, you can adjust it's later to find a more correct value,
and, the "rate" can be adjusted to match the cards mode or, connect speed from 11M to 54M for A/B or, G modes)
(most of the other settings are not critical, the defaults seem to work fine)

Then open Kifimanager, "settings / config editor".
chose (in sequence) your "network name" (none really needed for just sniffing), "managed" (for intranet), "Autodetect" (should picks up the eth0's
settings)", "Activate" (starts the card), "Apply" and "OK".

You should now be able to see local signals, and able to scan the band for other SSID's in range.
This doesn't mean your ready to connect to them, unless your lan and browser are already setup and running (which is where I start getting fuzzy).
But, the next time you re-boot Knoppix, you might note, it's added "eth0" to the command lines in startup, which now states it's broadcasting DHCP.

I'm waiting on USB card support to catch up. Because, I find them to be a more flexable, or, easier to position for best signal.