PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs to disable graphical login manager

shplad
12-16-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi friends:

I'm using KnoppMyth R5A22, which includes Knoppix. I don't know which version.
(Is there a quick way to find out?)
I would like to be able to disable that graphical login manager, the one with the
username and password fields, and the options for shutdown, restart etc.
But I need gdm to still be able to run, as MythTV uses it. I've posted on the KnoppMyth
forum, but no one seems to have answers to my question.

I'm a bit new to Linux, so I don't understand in which module the graphical
login lies. Basically, I just want to be able to boot to X, but without the graphical
login, or if I have to, I'll boot to a prompt-just without that graphical login thingy.

Thanks for any input.

Shplad

Dave_Bechtel
12-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Simplest way might be to boot into runlevel 2 or 3 [ boot: knoppix 2 ], login, then ' startx ' from there.

Hi friends:

I'm using KnoppMyth R5A22, which includes Knoppix. I don't know which version.
(Is there a quick way to find out?)
I would like to be able to disable that graphical login manager, the one with the
username and password fields, and the options for shutdown, restart etc.
But I need gdm to still be able to run, as MythTV uses it. I've posted on the KnoppMyth
forum, but no one seems to have answers to my question.

I'm a bit new to Linux, so I don't understand in which module the graphical
login lies. Basically, I just want to be able to boot to X, but without the graphical
login, or if I have to, I'll boot to a prompt-just without that graphical login thingy.

Thanks for any input.

Shplad

maxIT
12-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Having this kind of issue I assume you have an hdinstall, so this would be a topic for "Debian apt install etc.." while this is a place for 'live-mode' questions.
Anyway I think you need to edit the '/etc/inittab' file and replace the 'default runlevel' from 5(graphic) to 3(command line).

shplad
12-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Ooh, sorry about that-I didn't know. Anyways, I did try your suggestion, but the graphical login manager
still runs. Should I try runlevel 1? Will that make any diff?

shplad

Having this kind of issue I assume you have an hdinstall, so this would be a topic for "Debian apt install etc.." while this is a place for 'live-mode' questions.
Anyway I think you need to edit the '/etc/inittab' file and replace the 'default runlevel' from 5(graphic) to 3(command line).

maxIT
12-18-2005, 06:19 AM
What I've explained work properly for me.
Be sure to identify the match 'id:5:initdefault:' and replace the 5 inside it with 3, and also you must to make it as 'root' to have real writing permissions.

shplad
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Yes, I did that. It didn't change anything.

Any other suggestions?

shplad

What I've explained work properly for me.
Be sure to identify the match 'id:5:initdefault:' and replace the 5 inside it with 3, and also you must to make it as 'root' to have real writing permissions.