PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and creating partitions not recogniozed by XP CD

zillah
12-17-2005, 05:38 PM
I used Knoppix (Live CD V4.0.2) utility "cfdisk" to create 3 primary partitions on a 40 GB HD, there primary partitions are:

1- 15 GB NTFS

2- 5 GB FAT32

3- 20 GB NTFS

I did write (Knoppix option), and I restarted the PC.

When I booted the PC with XP CD (to install OS XP )..

XP did not recongnize the format of all there partitions,,,,Why?

I do not if it is related to knoppix, or XP CD ?

UnderScore
12-17-2005, 09:56 PM
XP did not recongnize the format of all there partitions,,,,Why?Did you format the partitions? cfdisk is only a partitioner, not a formater.

zillah
12-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Did you format the partitions? cfdisk is only a partitioner, not a formater.
yes this was my mistake,,,,How I can format them ? Do I need to use XP CD or I can do it with Knoppix CD ?

What will the case be if I create partitions "Type"
a- Solaris (BF)
b- Linux swap (83)
c- Linux ext3 (82)
----
---
---
---
do I need to format them in order to be recognized by Solaris OS or Linux OS ?

UnderScore
12-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Yes you need to format them. Look into using qtparted, a graphical partitioner/formater. Run the command: sudo qtparted

If you can't use qtparted, then learn the commands: mkswap, mke2fs, mkfs.vfat

zillah
01-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Now I have got another question, I have got FC4 installed on a PC, and If I created Solaris partition (0xBF) by using cfdisk on the remaining free space of the HD.,,,and I have not formatted the partition,,,,Does GRUB bootloader recognize this partition as Solaris partition ? Or I have to format it to be recognised by GRUB ?

zillah
01-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Any idea or help

zillah
01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
If cfdisk is only partitioner , why do I need to assign tag (flag) to partition (i.e. 0xBF for Solaris, 0x07 for NTFS----etc)

UnderScore
01-13-2006, 03:52 PM
If cfdisk is only partitioner , why do I need to assign tag (flag) to partition (i.e. 0xBF for Solaris, 0x07 for NTFS----etc)Because partitioning & formating are two separate processes involving at a minimum of two separate programs: the partitioner & the formater.

Imagine a mini-van or a SUV without any bucket, captain, or bench seats installed. That is similar to an unpartitioned hard drive.
Then add a captain's driver seat and label it for Bill The Driver. This is similar to making a single partition on the hard drive.
Then add a 2nd row bench seat for and label it for Linus. This is yet another partition.
Then make Bill sit in his seat. This is similar to formatting.

zillah
01-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Do you mean the analogy of adding captain's driver seat and label it for Bill The Driver and 2nd row bench seat are similar to adding different tags (flags,,,,eg:07 and BF) to HD ?

UnderScore
01-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Yes of course I meant analogy.
I can delete all the partitions on my disk. Then I can make a partition & then tag/label it as NTFS. But is does not mean that it automatically created the NTFS filesystem for me. I must use either a linux ntfs tools or windows to make the ntfs filesystem.

Or say I want to use linux filesystems. I can make a partition & set it to Linux, but it did not make a usuable filesystem on it. I must choose to use ext2fs or ext3fs or reiserfs or JFS or XFS.

Analogy: I can label seats for Bill or Linus or anyone else (tagging the partition). It doesn't work until I get Bill or Linus to sit in their chair (formatting the partition with a particular filesystem).

zillah
01-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks I got, it,,,briefly :

1- Partitioning means : reserve an area on hard disk.

2- Tagging (labeling) means: name a reserved area.

3- Formatting means: creats filesystem on a partition.

OErjan
01-13-2006, 06:46 PM
good nuff fo guv'mint (yes, close enough)

zillah
01-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Can we tag (label) a partition with (eg: 0xBF for Solaris) and create filesystem (format ) of type ext2 ? yes of course it is meaningless,,,just for my knowledge.

OErjan
01-14-2006, 10:42 PM
probably yes. as root you are GOD, if you have the knowledge you can wipe prom on hdd/cdrom/dvd.. as root (will make the drives utterly useles, not even formating will work), even BIOS, it is one (of many) GOOD reason not to be root when not necesary.

Harry Kuhman
01-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Can we tag (label) a partition with (eg: 0xBF for Solaris) and create filesystem (format ) of type ext2 ? yes of course it is meaningless,,,just for my knowledge.
The partition table, a small number of bytes at the end of sector zero of track zero, includes a byte per partition that is used to indicate the type of partition. This is set by partitioning software to the proper value to indicate what type of partition it is (and sometimes changed by software that "hides" partitions from users or operating systems.) Partitioning software does not, however, write all of the other file structure information needed within the partition by a file system; that is done by formatting. The easy way to acomplish what you ask would be to make the partition of the proper type, format it with a tool that functions normally, and then edit this byte to indicate a different format type. But it's certainly not a good idea. The best and most likely case is that software looking at the partition table would expect a different type of file system there and give you error when it couldn't make sense of the data contained in the partition. The worst case is that it would write something and destroy anything that you had there.