PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix from external cdrom/dvd drive

MrGreen
12-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi,

I have d/l Knoppix but seems to have problems booting CD ...

Get dropped to reduced shell as Knoppix cannot find image (on external dvd drive!)

Is there anything I can do in say reduced shell to find & start Knoppix .. looked at cheat codes but bootfrom did not help

On my laptop I do not have floppy drive so I cannot boot it from there

Is there any other way I can get Knoppix to boot ...

TIA

MrGreen

Harry Kuhman
12-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Get dropped to reduced shell as Knoppix cannot find image (on external dvd drive!)

Is there anything I can do in say reduced shell to find & start Knoppix .. looked at cheat codes but bootfrom did not help

It might be an issue with the external drive, but it certainly could be something else too. Did you follow all of the steps in the downloading faq, including burning the disc slowly? Two cheat codes that tend to work magic are dma and acpi=off, try them individually or together. Also, try the expert cheat code and make notes about how you answer the questions so hat you can go back and change your last answer if the boot locks up.

On my laptop I do not have floppy drive so I cannot boot it from there

Is there any other way I can get Knoppix to boot ...
How do you boot things on the laptop normally (other than the hard disk) if you have no floppy and apparently you can't boot from disc? Or are you saying the laptop has an internal CD but you want to boot the external DVD? Clearly you could make a Knoppix CD to start with if that's the case. There are more complicated ways to boot the DVD, but I would consider installing SBM to the MBR of your hard drive and see if that doesn't let you boot the external drive on this system. You may not be ablt to though if the BIOS soesn't support the external buss (which would imply that you need an OS in place to read from it).

MrGreen
12-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah SBM might work .....

Forgive my post but I'm asking on behalf of a friend of mine .... he was having problems getting Knoppix to boot

Not quite sure but he can boot CD/DVD but it drops to reduced shell maybe usb modules are not loading for some reason .... Knoppix just cannot find image

Like that has not happened to us before lol

FAQ well I did read about dma & acpi=off but that my scare my friend for sure.....

I'll let you know how it goes ....

Thanks for your help

MrGreen