PDA

View Full Version : Damn Small linux and RDesktop???

Leg0z
05-02-2003, 08:09 PM
So im wondering if this is at all possible. is there a way to boot into damn small linux and dl rdesktop, then use it to log into a windows machine? Im a linux newbie and have no clue how to customize knoppix. Is there a possibility of apt-getting rdesktop or are the dependencies just not there?

holzhey
05-07-2003, 03:22 PM
I already did that. But I used the standard KNOPPIX system for that, which includes rdesktop.
There are easy ways to configure a KNOPPIX (even a KNOPPIX without rdesktop) using the plugscript package.
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~holzhey/plugscript
Unfortunately there is a lot of code at the moment, but no special howto for using it, but I can prepare a small package for you (200kb+optional rdesktop) which then is very simple to install.

If you want that, please ask me at holzhey@iapp.de .
Andre'

Leg0z
05-08-2003, 12:33 AM
I guess, the easiest way to state this is, Im looking for rdesktop on a bootable buisness card. I like damn small linux cause it uses the knoppix core. I have scsi problems on various machines I own and really need the noscsi boot option. So if that is what you got (?) then you would be the shiznits and the man I need to speek too.

garyng
05-08-2003, 05:51 AM
I am working on the same direction(mini-cd or 128MB CF, not business card as I think mini-cd is small enough physically).

Leg0z
05-08-2003, 07:48 PM
I just think it would be totaly sweet to carey your OS around in your wallet.

abnormaliti
05-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Take a look at http://pxes.sourceforge.net

garyng
05-22-2003, 10:32 AM
thanks but this is not what I need(though the concept is sweet for a typical office environment). I am aiming at carrying my OWN OS in the wallet(or shirt pocket). So say when I am travelling and come to a hotel with business center, I can 'borrow' the machine and have my stuff right there rather than whatever is installed(win 98/ME etc.). The same idea applies when I need to visit a friend oversea for a short period of time. Carrying a notebook is an option but I like to travel light and PC is becoming commodities and it is not difficult to find one.

I am looking at the Morphix distribution but there is still some stuff to iron out, may end up building my own based on KNOPPIX/Morphix.