PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.0 Running Slow.

LiLdEmOnDoG
12-18-2005, 08:13 PM
well i downloaded knoppix 4.0 burned the iso started up and it took like 10-15 mins but then i finnaly got into my linux desktop and it was going slow, i was wondering how would i make it so it dont take 10-15 mins to load linux and how to make my proformance better?

Harry Kuhman
12-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Please see this post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574) and then go back and edit your original post and change the subject line.

LiLdEmOnDoG
12-19-2005, 04:39 AM
Sorry about that :D

Harry Kuhman
12-19-2005, 06:32 AM
There are two common problems that might explain your problem.

The most common is a bad burn as a result of burning at high speed. If you didn't burn the disc at a slow speed, go back and burn another one slowly (I suggest 4x for CD's, or as slow as your drive and software will let you go if you can't do 4x). This really makes a difference and we have documented many cases of it. Burning the disc on a RW media that has to be burnt slowly also usually resolves this problem.

Another potential problem is the dma/nodma issue. 4.0.2 boot with dma off by default, but turning it on with the cheat code knoppix dma can make a lot of difference on some systems. Some previous versions did default to dma on and on those if problems were see you needed to use the knoppix nodma cheat code.