PDA

View Full Version : Install Knoppix to the HD

LiLdEmOnDoG
12-19-2005, 07:42 PM
http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

i was watching this video tutorial and i was wondering if i do this will it be my primary OS, if it will, is there a way i can use linux and windows xp without useing the disc, Because when i use the disc it lags like a mofo...

OErjan
12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
if you folow that tutorial you wil have NO windows XP on that box, and ALL your files on that box are wiped away, sorry.

but you certainly CAN install both Knoppix, even better Debian or some other Distribution.
those are meant to be hdd installed and are easier to get a good solid system with AND you normaly get a question about a dualboot with XP.
dualboot means that you can choose Linux or XP when booting.
and i repeat he wiped the Win partition...

LiLdEmOnDoG
12-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Alright, thanks for letting me know about that, can you give me a little tut on how i would get linux and windows xp on the same machine? :D

OErjan
12-20-2005, 06:01 PM
ok here is a link to a script to detect your hardware, partition(s)...
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22520&highlight=script

here is a guide how to rezise a windows partition, read carefully and backup everything well. be certain you, if things go terribly wrong, can reinstall Windows aswell. you would be amazed how many persons do not own a instalation/restore CD for their computer.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/nixcraft/vivek/blogger/2005/09/how-do-i-resize-windows-partition-with.php

and as for install. i would need to know what distribution you choose, Debian? Slackware?...

jeff_kpx
12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Actually, I have found that Knoppix makes a great HD install distro, but with major caveats:

1. Don't add and/or delete software using apt-get with Debian repos.

2. Don't do an apt-get dist-upgrade.

3. If you do add software from Debian repos, edit the apt sources.list to point only to the "testing" repos. The "testing" repos will be slightly less likely to screw up your system. And don't add too much. Since Knoppix is a hybrid between Debian stable, testing, and unstable, adding stuff from the Debian repos will most likely cause stuff to break eventually. So really, don't do it.

4. Instead of adding/deleting software with apt-get from Debian repos, use Klik. This software is installed in the user's home directory, with it's own support files/libs, and won't harm the base system.

5. It's also harmless to add Java software (in user's home directory), as it only needs the JRE (which Knoppix has).

6. Adding drivers is risky, too. But the good news with that is that it is rarely needed, since Knoppix HD detection is stellar.

In other words, Knoppix is good as a hd install, but mostly if it's taken as is. The good news is that Knoppix already includes most everything practically any user could need or want. This is especially true with the Knoppix 4.0 DVD.

Another thing to consider is, even though Knoppix is based on Debian, it's not Debian - it's a hybrid mutation optimized to be a great live CD (the best live CD out there, quite frankly). However, if Knoppix is taken as it's own distro that is not compatible with Debian repos, and not to be tweaked much, it can make a very good HD install - it's fast, easy, and full featured.

Another alternative is to do a "poor man's install". This is using the "tohd" cheat code at boot. This copies the CD to HD (location of choice). Then next time you boot knoppix, give the "fromhd" cheat code at boot. This will cause it to run from the HD, but in a Live mode (with the other OS sitll in tact). This gives the advantages of running "Live", but with the added speed of running from HD as opposed to CDROM, plus it frees up the CDROM to do other stuff. This is a quasi HD install that is completely safe, and presents Knoppix "as is". You can still add programs with click (and keep them with a persistent home directory), and save your settings as well.

foamrotreturns
12-22-2005, 11:54 PM
That's like saying "Fords are great cars as long as you don't drive them"
The very essence of a good desktop/laptop operating system is that it is upgradeable. Security threats demand that the administrator of a machine be able to upgrade any program at a moment's notice to prevent exploitation.
I would say if you will never be connecting the machine to the internet, then it might be OK as a hard disk installation. But a computer that is always offline is sort of like a car that always sits in the garage.

jeff_kpx
12-23-2005, 12:08 AM
That's like saying "Fords are great cars as long as you don't drive them"
The very essence of a good desktop/laptop operating system is that it is upgradeable. Security threats demand that the administrator of a machine be able to upgrade any program at a moment's notice to prevent exploitation.
I would say if you will never be connecting the machine to the internet, then it might be OK as a hard disk installation. But a computer that is always offline is sort of like a car that always sits in the garage.

With all due respect (don't want a flame war), that is a completely faulty analogy. A Knoppix HD install is completely usable (you can drive that car). It's just not upgradable - i.e. you can't add a turbo charger, upgrade the engine, or switch out parts. You can, however (via Klik or Java programs) add stuff like nice new rims, seat covers, or whatever else.

Also, I have done several Knoppix HD installs (among many other Distro installs - I'm a distro junkie), and internet connectivity has worked every time. The best thing to do is use the "configure network card" script while running in live mode, then do the install. From there, it will take the network settings and work properly. I've also run the script in HD install mode with no problems. But since the scripts were designed to run in Live mode, it's best to run them that way first.

The security threat part is a very good point, however. You can't do security updates with a Knoppix HD install. However, since it's Linux, the threat is somewhat minimal. Also, the alternative I mentioned (the "poor man's install") is viable.

A Knoppix HD install is fully operational (and very full featured). It's just limited in extending it with extra software, and not upgradable, and can't have security patches. For many users, that'll do just fine.

jeff_kpx
12-23-2005, 12:29 AM
I'd like to add that I'm not advocating Knoppix HD installs. In fact, I would recomend users who want a good Linux HD install to look elsewhere. But for something that's quick, dirty, fast, full featured, easy, but somewhat limited, a Knoppix HD install will do just fine.

In fact, I would not recommend any Debian derivatives for HD install (even Kanotix), with only one exception (which I'll get to in a bit). If someone wants a Debian HD install, then they shuold just install Debian Sarge (with the new Sarge installer, which is quite easy). This is the only way to ensure that your Debian HD install is fully compatible with Debian repos. After Sarge is installed, then you can do an apt-get dist-upgrade to Etch or Sid (Sid will be a bit dangerous), if you have to have the "latest and greatest".

Debian derivatives don't maintain 100% Debian compatibility.

I say this from lot's of personal experience. Here are some of my experiences:

Mepis: Hybrid distro - both testing and unstable packages included, no separate managed repoository. It works great for a while, but eventually runs into Deb repo compatibility problems, and stuff starts to break.

Ubuntu - good if you stay in their separate managed repository (much smaller than Debs repos). If you use "Universe" (Debian Sid repo), problems will eventually occur.

Kanotix - even though it's pure Debian Sid and geared for HD install, I've had problems with it (with adding software from Deb repos, and doing dist-upgrades). So either it is not fully compatible as billed, or simply living in the Sid repos is dangerous by it's very nature.

The one execption to my Debian derivative rule is Linspire. Linspire is Debian based, but it has "embraced and extended" Debian, and made itself into it's own full distro, and completely extended apt with the Click-n-Run Warehouse. The Click-n-Run warehouse is Linspire's own vast repository that makes it super easy to add and update software, and is fully managed by Linspire. Linspire is completely incompatible with Debian repos, but it does not need them because Click-n-Run warehouse is vastly superior in it's ease of use. You have to pay for the convenience of Click-n-Run, but for many, it's well worth it.

|enouf|
12-23-2005, 09:16 AM
thanks to knoppix.net (especially claus) and the members for these forums and these informative threads...from all who input - i am learning via reading. I appreciate the very detailed comments -- i have written quite a few myself (not necessarily here) and other regular memebers here have as well....it can be laborious, yes, but thank you! - i truly believe one day i'll (and others) be able to rid myself of everything ms.

sakiZ
12-23-2005, 05:22 PM
With all due respect (don't want a flame war), that is a completely faulty analogy. A Knoppix HD install is completely usable (you can drive that car). It's just not upgradable - i.e. you can't add a turbo charger, upgrade the engine, or switch out parts. You can, however (via Klik or Java programs) add stuff like nice new rims, seat covers, or whatever else.

Good analogy. On my 3.7 version I have updated the KDE base at least three times, and right now ALL of my KDE is at the SARGE level.

Konqueror has been updated several times as well.

Plus you can add the latest apps. Right now I'm also running Firefox 1.5, Real Player 10, and Thunderbird.

My installation removed wine and installed CrossOver Office 4.2 instead.

So, there is a lot you can do with it. Just don't do "apt-get upgrade" :-)

sakiZ

ruymbeke
01-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Alright, thanks for letting me know about that, can you give me a little tut on how i would get linux and windows xp on the same machine? :D
You may want try to boot from the ISO cd image file stored in your hdd, cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
I use it every day. You will have the same limitations as booting from the cd/dvd except that it boots way faster.
And you may consider the use of a persistent home directory to prevent loosing your data every time you boot ...
This approach is the only "clean" way I found to run Linux on a corporate computer
where the install of an other OS is simply not allowed
and where all traces of Linux can be simply removed
in a couple of seconds from a running windoze (like in a Panic mode) !
My 2 cents,
Gilles