PDA

View Full Version : How do I install gFTP?

tamster121
05-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Hello,

I'm totally new to Linux. I would like to use Knoppix as a recovery tool (e.g. if somebody's Windows crashes and I need to get data off of the hard drive, I'll boot using Knoppix and transfer the data to another computer). Knoppix works great, but I would like to install a graphical FTP client like gFTP (temporarily in the RAM drive) because the users who will be using Knoppix to transfer their files may not be comfortable with a command line ftp client. I've tried using the gFTP RPM, but it doesn't work, saying it's missing dependencies. What is the easiest way to install gFTP temporarily on Knoppix? Thanks!

Eric

Stephen
05-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Use Konqueror, in the location bar ftp://username@your.web.site.

aay
05-03-2003, 04:33 AM
Use Konqueror, in the location bar ftp://username@your.web.site.

This is a good suggestion Stephen, but I find that Konqueror kind of stinks as an ftp client. I've used it on several ocasions where it has choked up on me (on a fairly powerful machine I might add). We really need something better. KnoppixKDE had a nice KDE based ftp client - Bear FTP or something like that.

tamster121
05-03-2003, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Even though Konqueror may work, it is not an ideal solution. The user may need to transfer many GB of data over the LAN in many different directories. I would much rather have a graphical FTP client for them than using a browser.

I also tried downloading the source of KBear into /ramdisk/var/tmp/, uncompressing, then following the directions to install. However, the ./configure file produces an error saying that "Qt >= version 3.0 (headers and libraries) not found." So I couldn't get it to install.

Any suggestions? Any easy (or semi-easy) way to install a graphical FTP client? Thanks!

monkeyman
05-03-2003, 03:24 PM
For what it is worth, I am using WS_FTP_LE. Wine seems to run it just fine.

aay
05-03-2003, 06:30 PM
If you download KnoppixKDE, then you can use Kbear.

Look here for the link:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722#2792

You might also consider using k3b to back up data with a cd burner. This is what I do most of the time.

----------------------
Edit
----------------------

You might also consider downloading one of the Morphix releases which I believe has gftp on it.

http://www.morphix.org

mrmdls
05-08-2003, 01:19 AM
It is possible to install gftp on knoppix 3.2, all you have to do is update your /etc/apt/sources.list for stable. run apt-get update, apt-get install gftp, the installer will install gftp and the other neccessary files. I've done that for gftp,pan,and gcombust.

Hope that help's,
Dave S.

majales
05-12-2003, 09:52 AM
to mrmdls: How can you update /etc/apt/sources.list and use apt-get when you are using Knoppix from CD? Is it possible somehow? I've tried but no luck because apt-get update command is trying to write some files which are locked, or physicaly on the CD. Did I miss something?

MaJaLeS

mrmdls
05-12-2003, 10:42 AM
majales,

I've done that on a hd install, I should of stated that in my post.

Dave S.