PDA

View Full Version : Fixing PPP in another distro

eon
12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi, I have been using knoppix for a few years now-although I no longer install it. I play around and multiboot a few distros-mostly FC4, Zen (which has sadly been discontinued ) and Slack ( which I'm using right now). Anyway I recently tried Foresight which is definately interesting, but the dial out stuff doesn't seem to work although users of foresight claim it has good ethernet and wireless support. But I'm on a dial up also foresight is gnome based as are all the distros I run ( I use dropline with slack )
I'm wondering can I copy over the ppp stuff from my live dvd of knoppix 4.0 plus use kppp?
Gnome doesn't have a good dialer or frontend for pppd. I know i can use wvdial but that doesn't set up correctly in foresight-and their web forum is sparsely used so not much help there either. Which files besides /etc/ppp would I need to cpoy to the foresight install and if I want kppp to work what exactly would I need to copy to get that working correctly?
Thanks a lot for any help provided!

oscar
12-21-2005, 10:15 PM

This is some help. For testing rename /etc/ppp to /pppxxx and then copy /etc/ppp from knoppix DVD

To use kppp install kppp. The installation motor will know what it is needed, a lot of kde files I guess

eon
12-22-2005, 05:39 AM

This is some help. For testing rename /etc/ppp to /pppxxx and then copy /etc/ppp from knoppix DVD

To use kppp install kppp. The installation motor will know what it is needed, a lot of kde files I guess

That doesn't work there is more to it than just the files in /etc/ppp.

oscar
12-22-2005, 04:44 PM
no much more...

try adsl-start adsl-setup adsl-status etc....

if this work then copying from knoppix will not easyly help because knoppix uses
pppoeconf pon poff commands to setup adsl connection, different from linuxes that uses adls-setup

eon
12-24-2005, 10:09 PM
no much more...

try adsl-start adsl-setup adsl-status etc....

if this work then copying from knoppix will not easyly help because knoppix uses
pppoeconf pon poff commands to setup adsl connection, different from linuxes that uses adls-setup

I have phone dialup access to the internet-not dsl.

oscar
12-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Of course, I forgot it, sorry