PDA

View Full Version : sorry about the off color word: Windows

Leyden
12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm VERY new to *nix, but I've always been a command line junkie. I'm currently trying to help a friend with a Windows 2000 problem. The machine (NTFS) had two lines in boot.ini that referred to two different installs of Windoze - one that worked, one that didn't - guess which one got deleted.......
I've tried to use the Windoze recovery, but keep getting access denied.....so, I had heard that Knoppix can play with Windoze and tried to use kwrite to edit the boot.ini file on the root of hda1 ["C:\"?]....but Kwrite appears to try to load the file, then just quits - no error, no nothing. Using OpenOffice didn't work for me either......I couldn't find hda1........Any suggestions on how to edit the boot.ini on what Windoze calls "C:\" and/or how to copy a good version of the boot.ini from "C:\TMP" to "C:\"...................

TIA

Harry Kuhman
12-21-2005, 08:28 PM
You can't safely edit any file on a NTFS partition with Knoppix. Knoppix will mount NTFS read only.

Leyden
12-21-2005, 08:57 PM
You can't safely edit any file on a NTFS partition with Knoppix. Knoppix will mount NTFS read only.

Thanks, Harry, but I already knew that - I'm willing to risk it at this point because I've got nothing to lose......do you have any real infomation that could help me? Is there a *nix application that will convert NTFS to FAT32 safely?
Why does kwrite not load the file i want to edit (or OO)?
What problems will I have trying to save my edited file once someone clues me in to HOW to load it?
Do I have to use WINE to use PartionMagic under linux(Knoppix/Debian)?

Yes, I also realize that tempting fate by writing to NTFS may not have immediate consequences....

...............darn - looks like I need to figure out how to turn on HTML for these forums..........

|enouf|
12-23-2005, 04:36 AM
What you need to do is boot into Recovery Console on the CD (i know you said 2K...but should perhaps work) - and run the command;
Bootcfg /rebuild

you can find out much more about it by searching google using above command as keyword/s -- and/or seek out Bart's PE Builder.

In order to be able to "write" to a partition (FAT32/16) you'd need to first drop to root , and make a tmp dir 'mkdir' and 'mnt' that...
See Dave Bechtel's helpful explanation to me in this thread (specifically Dave's 2nd post);
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19813

As for NTFS, i yield to the other regular forum member's advice...like Harry, et al

Leyden
12-29-2005, 08:08 PM
What you need to do is boot into Recovery Console on the CD (i know you said 2K...but should perhaps work) - and run the command;
Bootcfg /rebuild

you can find out much more about it by searching google using above command as keyword/s -- and/or seek out Bart's PE Builder.

In order to be able to "write" to a partition (FAT32/16) you'd need to first drop to root , and make a tmp dir 'mkdir' and 'mnt' that...
See Dave Bechtel's helpful explanation to me in this thread (specifically Dave's 2nd post);
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19813

As for NTFS, i yield to the other regular forum member's advice...like Harry, et al

Thanks!!