PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix/KDE without Harddrive Icons needed

sirjayjay
12-22-2005, 02:08 PM
hello

i need a special kind of knoppix for my kids. the knoppix should NOT display the harddrive icons on KDE. Is it possible??? what happens if i delete the icons on a running knoppix 4.0 with knoppix.img as home.???

foamrotreturns
12-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm assuming you mean to have your kids use Knoppix for playing around on the internet and such so they don't get viruses on your computer.
Unless you're worried about them being able to read files from your hard disks, it won't be a problem that they can see the hard disks. Even if they do mount the hard disks, they always get mounted READ-ONLY unless otherwise specified (requiring a lot of command line voodoo which your kids are very unlikely to know) so you can leave those hard disk icons on there without any fears of them deleting anything.

tr
12-26-2005, 05:17 PM
he knoppix should NOT display the harddrive icons on KDE. Is it possible??? what happens if i delete the icons on a running knoppix 4.0 with knoppix.img as home.???

Hard disk icons are created by /usr/bin/mkdesktopicons script. There you can change also how they look like in different languages, eg. my partitions show like this in en (default), de, fi and sv.

Name=Hard Disk [$d]
Name[de]=Festplatte [$d]
Name[fi]=$d
Name[sv]=$d

This means that in english you can see e.g. 'Hard Disk [hda1]' but in finnish only 'hda1' :)
If you delete icons from your dekstop, they are only deleted from your home directory (/home/knoppix/Desktop) and are created again when starting KDE afresh.

-tapsa-