PDA

View Full Version : Laptop won't start

n0aim
12-22-2005, 11:34 PM
I loaded 3.9 on my compaq laptop yesterday and had no problems with it. It still has xp on and all things worked great for 3 restarts. Then I had a bad shut down (read gf tripped over the power cord) and now when I go to start it up all I get is the power light and it hums along like it’s got nothing else to do. The screen don't come on, hd light don't come on, it don't access the A or D drives, this about the most madding thing I think I've ever run into.

Any ideas????

Thanks, Chris

foamrotreturns
12-22-2005, 11:59 PM
You mean it doesn't even show a BIOS screen? I think you have some physical hardware damage there, bro.

n0aim
12-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Nope no bios screen either. I'll take any ideas.... :cry:

foamrotreturns
12-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry to say that you probably have some damaged hardware. I am not sure what we can do for you here since this forum is mainly for Knoppix issues, but I would take it to your local Geek Squad or something - maybe they can tell you what's wrong with it.

hamradiohead
12-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Did you try removing your battery for about 30 seconds, reinstalling it and then try booting. This happens on alot of laptops. Removing the battery allows everything to reset so you will get the thing to startup it's bios.

Bob

n0aim
12-25-2005, 09:14 PM
no joy.... no batt no power for 24 hours and it still doing the same thing.... NOTHING! :( :( :(

fpd
12-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Did you see the g/f trip over the power cord, or is that the story she is sticking to? It is a good bet she dropped it and perhaps broke the HDD or mother board. She can buy you a new HDD on-line. If she doesn't like that, imagine what she will say when you tell her to buy you a new MB... then imagine yourself raising a family with her, and her wrecking the car and burning down the house, and gives you the line... "I tripped over the power cord." On second hand, have a nice new year together, and work on your computer only when she isn't around.