PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix shows eth0 and eth1, but I have 1 NIC

chrisup
12-24-2005, 08:03 PM
I am running Knoppix 4.0 HD Install from DVD.
During bootup, netcardconfig or ifconfig, I see 2 NICs (eth0 and eth1) but I only have 1 physical NIC (I do not have built in wireless.)
eth0 fails to get an address via DHCP or work with a static IP, and eth1 gets an address via DHCP.
I'd like to configure Knoppix to use the interface name eth0 rather than eth1 and ignore the phantom card.

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
12-24-2005, 08:19 PM
I am running Knoppix 4.0 HD Install from DVD.
Does Knoppix work correctly when booted from the DVD, not from the install? From years of watching these forums I would say that the networking failing after a hard disk install is the most common Knoppix install problem (and things like this are a major reason why many of us advise against hard disk installs of Knoppix).

chrisup
12-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the reply.
The live DVD behavior is the same as the HD install.
I like the Knoppix HD install because it is less time consuming than most distros, and has all the packages I need ready to go. (I'm sort of lazy)

chazim
12-31-2005, 06:15 PM
I think I see what your saying, so, this might be part of the answer.
Even though there's not a card physicly present at the lan port location you mention. Knoppix's start-up routine, by default, will turn the software for both lan ports (eht0 & eth1) ON, and, attempts to broadcast a DHCP ID signal for other available computers on a network.
It may take a few more seconds to boot, but, I've not seen an adversy effects to the system, other then a slight delay till the ports times out.
Apparently this is on the DVD, and, carries over to a hard drive installation.
You should be able to disable this somewhere in the startup routine, if it's disturbing you. which I'm syre someone else knows better about.

OErjan
01-01-2006, 12:00 PM
if there is a firewire port on that computer it might be seen as a ethernet card.

chrisup
01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I do have a built-in firewire port. Unless you have an easy suggestion to disable the firewire networking I think I'll accept the eth1-eth0 scenario. Thanks for the replies so far everyone.