PDA

View Full Version : How to Reset Windows XP admin password with Knoppix

askme
12-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

I forgot my Windows XP administrator password. I boot the computer with Knoppix 4.0 bootable cd and try to delete C:\windows\system32\config\SAM file which store password (as far as I know) But I cannot delete this file. It say it is read only file, cannot be modified, even though I set mount as read write in action to my windows hard drive. I can remember about six month before, I did same and it worked, but now it is not working.
Can some one let me know how to reset/recover Admin password using knoppix CD.
I also used Knoppix STD with built in Windows password crack tool but it is also not reseting the admin password.

foamrotreturns
12-27-2005, 09:18 AM
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Knoppix can do a great job with recovery stuff in a pinch, but for the serious jobs, you should always use a livecd that is designed for the job.

askme
01-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Is it also a bootable CD like Knoppix? How to use it?

markpreston
01-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi,
I've never used it but wouldn't Bart's PE bootable CD be a better bet? Admittedly it's not free software, but it is designed for Windows.
See
http://www.pcbeginner.com/tools/pcdoctor.htm
Regards,
Mark

foamrotreturns
01-05-2006, 12:32 AM
No, because Bart's doesn't include a password reset utility.
The Ultimate Boot CD is not designed with any specific OS in mind. It runs a stripped down Linux, but that doesn't mean that it's any less effective at doing what it's designed to do.
For Admin password resets on Windows machines, the only way to go is either with the UBCD or the standalone NTPASS software on a floppy disk.

Iendrisly
05-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Hi,
I've never used it but wouldn't Bart's PE bootable CD be a better bet? Admittedly it's not free software, but it is designed for Windows.
See
http://www.pcbeginner.com/tools/pcdoctor.htm
Regards,
Mark

Hello,have you reset windows password successfully? I also forgot my login password on my windows 10, is there any way to reset win 10 password without reinstalling system?

Iendrisly
05-24-2017, 03:28 AM
No, because Bart's doesn't include a password reset utility.
The Ultimate Boot CD is not designed with any specific OS in mind. It runs a stripped down Linux, but that doesn't mean that it's any less effective at doing what it's designed to do.
For Admin password resets on Windows machines, the only way to go is either with the UBCD or the standalone NTPASS software on a floppy disk.

I used ntpasword, but it keeps saying not table found.

Tanksey
09-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Hi all,

I forgot my Windows XP administrator password. I boot the computer with Knoppix 4.0 bootable cd and try to delete C:\windows\system32\config\SAM file which store password (as far as I know) But I cannot delete this file. It say it is read only file, cannot be modified, even though I set mount as read write in action to my windows hard drive. I can remember about six month before, I did same and it worked, but now it is not working.
Can some one let me know how to reset/recover Admin password using knoppix CD.
I also used Knoppix STD with built in Windows password crack tool but it is also not reseting the admin password.
This thread is already very old, from 2005 to 2017, a number of Windows password reset methods or tools were developed , like the Ophcrack, NT password reset tool .

Tanksey
09-25-2017, 02:47 AM
I used ntpasword, but it keeps saying not table found.
If so that ,you can do it the other way .such as the CMD or Password reset disk and on , they can be used to reset or bypass login password on your computer ,