PDA

View Full Version : Locks up shortly after boot

y2khardtop
12-28-2005, 04:32 AM
My PC boots fine, and even gets network connections with no problems, but so far, it locks up shortly after starting. Usually in about 3 minutes. Being new to Linux, I have no idea how to diagnose/log what is happening.

Any advice?

moonrec
12-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi!

I had the same problem a couple months ago. In my case, It was working great and then it will work erratically and froze. I traced the problem to the CD rom drive, it was geting bad until it did fail completelly. I replaced the drive and works fine. Before changing the drive, try cleaning the lenses with a CD/DVD clenng disk.

Hope this helps!

Gabriel

maxIT
12-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Try an older knoppix version. I've solved this issue using knoppix 3.4 in some computers.

Harry Kuhman
12-29-2005, 06:06 AM
In addition to a CD drive going bad, this probem can be caused simply by a bad burn, particularly by one that was burned too fast. I would suggest trying another burn on a good quality media at a slow speed, 4x or as slow as your drive will go if it will not do 4x.

y2khardtop
12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
OK, I'll try another burn, then an older version. Seems like it would fail during boot, however, NOT after everything was up and running