PDA

View Full Version : How do I Change USB memory for bigger

Prayer
12-28-2005, 07:42 AM
I have saved knoppix settings to config.tbz and knoppix.sh file
I have also created persistant disk image called knoppix.img and it was set to 100MB

I used Konqueror to view knoppix.img and it was 88.5MB inside /home was 61.5MB. I cannot download any more mail in tbird, disk "full". I have already deleted trash, collected (compresed ?) the folders. I have cleared cache and other things in mozilla/firefox. Now full again.

I have a NEW 512MB USB stick, If I copy (in windows I suppose) the 3 above files to the new stick, will it work ? if so, how do I enlarge the 100MB knoppix.img file to 450MB ? If i have to create a new stick wtih empty files, how do I move the mail, installations, etc from the full koppix.img to the empty big one ?

Rich Sias :roll:

OErjan
12-28-2005, 04:41 PM
one way is to boot with new stick in place.
make a new permanent home.
reboot with new pen not plugged in
when knoppix is fully booted plug in new pen and copy the knoppix.sh and the configs.tbz over to new pen (same dir where the new knoppix.img is).
reboot (again) with new pen (with new home) plugged in and point knoppix there.
plug old pen in and mount it
now you mount the knoppix.img file
mout -t ext2 /mount/point/to/old/knoppix.img /desired/mount/point -o loop
copy everything from the old to the new home

cp -a /desired/mount/point/* /knoppix/home/knoppix/
now unmount the old knoppiximage

umount /desired/mount/point
reboot with new pen in place and things should be there.
if not let me know.

Prayer
12-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Thank you for the great suggestions. I made a slight change and everything went very well. I started with an empty 512MB stick saved Knoppix configuration and created persistant Knoppix image with 450MB space reserved. I then rebooted and copied over the knoppix.sh and configs.tbz files. Then I booted up without the sticks and THEN mounted both of them and mounted the knoppix.img file in each. Neither were active so no problems with open files etc. I ran the cp -a command noted and all went just fine. I did properties on each mounted img file system and both were slightly over 90MB. The new one actually had a few more bytes and 2 more subdirectories. I don't think anything got dropped. Old 90.3MB and new 90.5MB. There must be nearly 10MB in formatting overhead for ext2, wow costly overlay. 435.5 MB total, I asked for 450 for the image size so loss is up to 14.5MB now. At least I now have 339MB free now.

OErjan
12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
hmm, that is a safety feature in EXT filesystem, it reserves 10% for root, then you have the journals in ext3 that take some room, the journals help restore things after a crash...
below is a qoute from man mke2fs.

-m reserved-blocks-percentage
Specify the percentage of the filesystem blocks reserved for the
super-user. This avoids fragmentation, and allows root-owned
daemons, such as syslogd(8), to continue to function correctly
after non-privileged processes are prevented from writing to the
filesystem.
the code below would make a blockchecked filesystem (very thurough scandisk) type ext3 with only 1% reserved.

mke2fs -jvc -m 1 /dev/whatever

Prayer
12-30-2005, 12:29 AM
hmm, that is a safety feature in EXT filesystem, it reserves 10% for root, then you have the journals in ext3 that take some room, the journals help restore things after a crash...
below is a qoute from man mke2fs.
Except with command "create persistant Knoppix image" creates an ext2 file system withing a knoppix.img file in a vfat system. Not sure if this info could be applied to adjusting the Knoppix.img file that is automatically created with the above command. Since I asked for 450MB and found that the overhead costs were 15.5MB as I saw that full space on the img file was 439.5MB. I think that I can live with that space ok for quite a long while. It took like 2+ hours to format that img file into a ext2 format within the vfat stick. I feel that I don't really need to do much as I probably would still like to leave at least a 5Meg or more cushion. It is nice having a cushion to allow for pending writes to complete that last of the write even when running over the limit in the "disk". It just seems like too much bother to gain 10Megs on a 450Meg portion. I used to be in a 100Meg less 9.5 so this is lots more room for quite a long time. Welll.... maybe a couple of weeks anyway. Data has a way of expanding to fill any vacum allotted to it.

OErjan
01-03-2006, 05:29 PM
only diference between ext2 and ext3 is more or less the journals.

Joe_Linux
01-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I have saved knoppix settings to config.tbz and knoppix.sh file
I have also created persistant disk image called knoppix.img and it was set to 100MB
Rich Sias :roll:
I can't get Knoppix or Kanotix to bring back my previous desktop configuration. Do you have to make the config.tbz and knoppix.sh at the end of each session if you create a persistant USB /home?

OErjan
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM
yes, atleast if you change something outside your /home,