PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix to HD, erase SuSE

dakky21
12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
I got installed SuSE 9.3 on my hdd and its the only OS on this disk.
I was wondering if i follow irongeek video tutorial to install knoppix on this disk will there be any differences?

I am making a music player for New Year. We're going to celebrate and we need a rock stable mp3 player.
The computer itself isn't the dream one but in fact it should be realible (dual P2-333, 256MB, 4.5GB SCSI disk) and the 160 GB disk with over 60 GB of mp'3s BUT on the NTFS partition. There shouldnt be any problem i guess?

i got 4.0DVD. it will be installed to that scsi hdd (where is currently SuSE!)

tell me what to expect please!
Thanks in advance
Dakky

dakky21
12-28-2005, 05:01 PM
ok i`ve found out that i need MASSIVE 8gb disk for installatiom of DVD knoppix. as my disk is just 4,5gb it seems impossible.
i`m off to download cd version of knoppx and then to install it to hdd.
any advices by the way?

BTW does CD version have XMMS music player installed too? i reall need it!

Harry Kuhman
12-28-2005, 08:22 PM
any advices by the way?
The advice is amazingly simple. If you have a 4.5 gig drive (which is tiny by any modern standards), don't make yourself look foolish by calling 8 gig massive and certainly don't try to install a Knoppix DVD that intentionally comes with a lot of software that you will never use. Install Debian. The install will be much more stable than a Knoppix install. Then install from the Internet any and all packages that you would like, but leave out the ones that you don't want or would never use. You'll likely find that the 4.5 gig disk is more than enough space and even leaves you with plenty of extra space to download additional packages that you might have an interest in but did not fit on the DVD. Or you can add free things that the licensing didn't premit redistribution of, which would also keep it off the DVD.

Given that you have already figured out that you can't insall the Knoppix DVD, and that if you install the Knoppix CD things are likely to break as soon as you install anything else, why not at least try installing a distro that is actually intended for hard disk install?

dakky21
12-28-2005, 10:31 PM
i've had installed SuSE 9.3 until today and i am very disappointed with it. tell me that Debian is better? I need native NTFS reading support without having to compile kernel or something else because im totaly new to linux and don't know to do that. i need ONLY ntfs reading AND MP3 music player. knoppix got them both, after all i might not even install it, i'll boot it and run xmms and load a huge list (~50GBs of mp3) and play music with it... is that better idea than installing knoppix?

Harry Kuhman
12-28-2005, 11:01 PM
i've had installed SuSE 9.3 until today and i am very disappointed with it. tell me that Debian is better?....
I'm not going to get into a religious debate over Suse vs. Debian or any other distro being "better". Better depends greatly on what you are looking for. But Knoppix is based on Debian, so rather than fight with a Knoppix hard disk install when as I understand it even the author of Knoppix says it is not intended for hard disk install, I see no reason to not use Debian, which is intended for hard disk install and will not produce the problems we see here over and over again with Knoppix. Yes, Debian should read NTFS just fine without rebuilding the kernel. And you can install anything on the CD or DVD with the Debian package system (there might be something installed in Knoppix that's not in the Debian package system but I don't know of anything) and install only what you want, which seems useful when dealing with a 4 gig hard disk.

dakky21
12-29-2005, 01:12 AM
you're not listening to me

i need a computer for one-night event. it must be ROCK SOLID over that time. his only purpose will be playing MP3 files. Only that. it doesnt need any updates or other applications than mp3 player (xmms or amarok). it can be booted from cd. no need for install like i said in the previous post..

tell me something useful as im pretty sure that debian doesn't come with xmms with crossfading plugin and mp3/ogg support preinstalled onto cd/hdd.. and as i am NOOB in this things (read: linux) i need something to start with (and it shouldnt be "read the f manual" - read i dont know how to do anything under it), and it should be accessible in kde with nice GUI... got me?

Harry Kuhman
12-29-2005, 01:26 AM
tell me something useful as im pretty sure that debian doesn't come with xmms with crossfading plugin and mp3/ogg support preinstalled onto cd/hdd.. and as i am NOOB in this things
You're in a forum discussing installing Knoppix to hard disk. You have obvious problems with that, as many many people do. If you have the skill to install Knoppix then you should be able to install Debian, I don't really care if it's for one night or a few years. If you install Debian than you can easily install any applications in the Debian package system (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages) just by doing an apt-get for it. I don't really care which apps you install or what you do with them. The original question was a lament of the Knoppix DVD not fitting on a 4.5 gig drive and a request for any suggestions. I thought I was validly giving one, but certainly one of us is not listening to the other.

As far as xmms with crossfading plugin and mp3/ogg support, I leave it to you to select the right packages to do that. I have no experience with a crossfade plugin or ogg support.

dakky21
12-29-2005, 01:56 AM
And you're the moderator and still keeps me buggin to "join your side". I mean this is now more of a private nature, but i think you should say "yea, people, this knoppix works great on HDD" instead of "come to me, debian owns, knoppix sux for installing on hdd etc."

the knoppix will be installed on hdd or boot from cd. if you say that knoppix sucks generaly then something is wrong with u. or are you paid by the debian? wouldnt wonder....

Harry Kuhman
12-29-2005, 02:20 AM
tell me what to expect please!
Thanks in advance
Dakky

And you're the moderator and still keeps me buggin to "join your side". I mean this is now more of a private nature, but i think you should say "yea, people, this knoppix works great on HDD" instead of "come to me, debian owns, knoppix sux for installing on hdd etc."

Just because I logged in one day and suddenly found out that I was now a moderator doesn't stop me from having opnions about Knoppix. And it certainly doesn't make me advise people to install onto hard disk what is intended as a Live CD and because of several design choices made in making the Live disc a very bad choice for installing to hard disk. I also personally think there are some problems with the install scripts too, as I see many many cases of things that worked fine from CD that stopped working when the hard disk install was run, such as Internet access, but I haven't bothered to track those down, since I realize that Knoppix shouldn't be installed in the first place. You asked tell me what to expect please! I don't know why you would want me to lie to you and tell you that installing Knoppix and then trying to update packages will be clean and simple when it will be far from that.

dakky21
12-29-2005, 03:13 PM
OK , i wont install knoppix. it will be booted and be run from CD.
then i will run xmms and load all the songs into the playlist.
it must then be stable and be able to run for cca 24 hours in the row without breaking.
is that possible? or you're telling me that knoppix is unstable?
tnx

Harry Kuhman
12-29-2005, 09:37 PM
OK , i wont install knoppix. it will be booted and be run from CD.
then i will run xmms and load all the songs into the playlist.
it must then be stable and be able to run for cca 24 hours in the row without breaking.
is that possible? or you're telling me that knoppix is unstable?
tnx
Knoppix as a Live CD is in my experience extremely stable. As I said above, I have no experience with Xmms or the crossfade software or the ogg stuff you wrote of.