PDA

View Full Version : Data Backup / DVD Burning with Knoppix

popjack
12-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a bit convoluted, but I've learned that in forum posts, more information is better. I'm running two systems an older P4 sandbox running Vector Linux and a newer AMD64 running Windows XP. I'm pretty new to Linux, so I'm keeping the OS's on separate machines, so there's no fear of losing data on my family's primary computer if I have to reformat / repartition.

My first question is about running a Live CD on my WinXP machine. I ready the disclaimer, so I know that there is some risk involved, but I'd like to get the opinion of this forum. Has anyone ever experienced a problem with a live CD that compromised data on the host system?

My second question involves using the Live CD to backup data on using my DVD burner. I've never been able to get my DVD burner working properly, and I'm told that it's a problem with the VIA chipset, the Ultra Bus Master Driver and Windows XP. I've removed the driver and ended up reformatting my system. My question is can I boot from a live CD, take the CD out and attempt to burn data onto a DVD from my system's harddrive? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Has anyone ever experienced a problem with a live CD that compromised data on the host system?
If you read through past posts you'll find that a very few people have reported such things. The credability of such reports has yet to be proved. I personally don't believe them and as long as the user isn't making the disk writeable or mucking with partitionng and formatting software, I see no danger. And don't forget that you're talking about a Windows system here. If a million users try a Knoppix disk on it, some number of users are going to have problems when they go back to Windows. It's very unlikey that that number is any higher than if a million Windows users without Knoppix turn off their computers and just turn them back on the next day. A significan number of that group are going to have problems with windows too, but they can't blame Knoppix (or use Knoppix to recover the data).

My second question involves using the Live CD to backup data on using my DVD burner. I've never been able to get my DVD burner working properly, and I'm told that it's a problem with the VIA chipset, the Ultra Bus Master Driver and Windows XP. I've removed the driver and ended up reformatting my system. My question is can I boot from a live CD, take the CD out and attempt to burn data onto a DVD from my system's harddrive? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you have one optical drive then you can't boot the disc in the normal way and remove it, it needs to be present. This is a live CD or DVD, remember. If you have enough memory you may be able to use the CD and the toram cheat code. Alternatively there are other things that you can do including saving files across a network, adding a drive with a FAT partition, using an external USB storage device, or tricks that let you boot the ISO from hard disk. I've also written a small Live Linux system (DSL) to the first session of a multi-session CD and confirmed that I could use the remaining 650 megs as storage on the same CD without removing the disk or causing any problems. With a DVD that may give you a lot of storage space, even if it was the Knoppix CD written to the first session of a DVD. As to Knoppix being able to write to your hardware, particularly given your stated problem, my only way to know would be to try.