PDA

View Full Version : knoppix as mp3 player

dakky21
12-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I will have on the New year's eve a party and i'm responsible for music.
There were two variants: carrying my big tower pc with XP and winamp (+traktor if we wanted to play some house and do the mixing)
or
carrying my mini tower dual p2-333 with knoppix booted from cd/dvd

in both computers there would be a hdd with 160GB (of that ~50GB mp3s) but the problem is that the only partition is NTFS so linux must have ntfs reading support...

is there any mp3 "livecd" player... i mean something that will boot into gui and have only mp3 and ntfs reading support... amarok surely doesn't...

OErjan
12-29-2005, 05:12 PM
xmms in knoppix should do that.

dakky21
12-29-2005, 05:38 PM
now i have a situation:
in CD version 4.0.2EN
cant access the NTFS partition ?! cant even found anywhere that disk!?

insert knoppix 3.7 and boot it and it finds ntfs partition and can be read normaly, played few mp3s just to test it, works very well.

why 4.0 doesnt read ntfs?

OErjan
12-29-2005, 08:15 PM
it should, it does for me

illu45
12-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Make sure that you mount the NTFS partition first.. I think that it may just not be auto-mounting it, so you have to do it manually.

pau1knopp
12-29-2005, 10:07 PM
there *should* automagically be a hard drive icon on your desktop that represents your ntfs partition. all you need to do to access it is to click on it once.

if this is not the case, you may want to post the contents of the /etc/fstab file here also.

when you get it running, you can use xmms for your music collection on the mounted partition. i recommend attaching a projector and running the xmms visualization "what a goom!" for a real new years eve crowd pleaser.

hope this suggestion is helpful