PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix damaged my system boot (windows)

jaydeepm
12-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Hello,

I am a new to knoppix, today first time I got hold of a disk (version 3.3) and I did successfully ran a session of knoppix on my laptop.
I had Windows+Mandrake installed on my system previously. And everytime I putON my laptop it asked me which OS I want to use ( windows / mandrake). But after that session of Knoppix, that screen never comes and the screen shows me character based display
"L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ....... " many times till half the screen. The system halts there itself and I am helpless.

I just fear I will have to reinstall windows which is my primary OS and has several software installed .... Can anyone let me know of possible solution and steps to be conducted inorder to put my machine in order again.

Thanks,
Jaydeep

OErjan
12-31-2005, 01:00 PM
this should help. looks like your lilo juast gor slightly broken
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ#Q:_My_other_Linux_install_is_broken_and _I_want_to_reinstall_LILO.

basicly you run knoppix.
mount the / (root) dir of your linux install rw
mount -t filesystem /dev/whatever2 /mnt/whatever2/-o rw.
chroot into the / (root) of your install
chroot /mnt/whatever2 then you reinstall lilo with
/sbin/lilo when you now reboot things should be back to normal.

jaydeepm
12-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your reply, but the thing is that I have formatted the drive containing mandrake 4 months ago and I dont have linux on my machine.
Even after removing mandrake I was getting that lilo. So that should be present somewhere on NTFS. Can anyone point the location of lilo in that case so i can fix as per steps described.

OErjan
12-31-2005, 02:23 PM
SHIT!!
NO, no lilo on the NTFS, that old one is now LOST!
you have no lilo.conf and such, you have to rebuild the Win boot.
seems this may do it (i have no Win to try on).

What you need to do is boot into Recovery Console on the CD (i know you said 2K...but should perhaps work) - and run the command;
Bootcfg /rebuild
more on the posting i took the quote from.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22556

jaydeepm
12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
where do I run the command bootcfg /rebuild , knoppix said: command not found.

OErjan
12-31-2005, 02:46 PM
you boot the XP cd and in the recoveryconsole under that you run it.