PDA

View Full Version : mount usb memory sticks

d.jacobs
12-31-2005, 06:04 PM
I am having trouble mounting my USB memory stick. When the device is installed Knoppix reconizes it and puts sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4 on my desktop. When I try to open any of them I get an error message that says mount could not determine the file system type and none was specified. My goal is to run a linux script on the memory stick that was loaded in a windows enviroment. I have also tried to install the device then boot but that gave the same results.

Joe_Linux
12-31-2005, 08:08 PM
The easiest way to mount aditional storage devices is to launch kdf or kinfocenter . KDiskFree is a portion of information that is found in the kinfocenter under Menu -> System ->Kinfocenter Find your USB storage device in kdf and it will show you the device, file type, mount point, and available free space. You can right click on the listing to mount it. I'm surprised you have 4 desktop icons for a single USB memory stick. At least with kdf you should be able to determine the file type. Mine is vfat.

d.jacobs
12-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Well I found the info center. It listed my Dell memory stick. Nothing happens whwn I click, double click or right click on it. It also does not tell it is vfat but I am fairly certain it is.

markpreston
01-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi,
At a terminal window as user knoppix try the following commands to save a previously created file called newfile1.txt:

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mkdir /mnt/usbstore
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mount -o uid=knoppix -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstore
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# exit
exit
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ cp newfile1.txt /mnt/usbstore/newfile1.txt
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

If this is successful then try the same with a shell script file.
Regards,
Mark

Joe_Linux
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I tried saving desktop configuration and Knoppix config to my USB key drive, but the results were very disappointing as much of the KDE config was not saved at all. I don't know what the Knoppix config is supposed to save.