PDA

View Full Version : Lost Network Card???

xetaprime
11-16-2002, 10:13 PM
Hey everyone!!! Install went smooth, only when I used the cd as demo, I had a working internet connection. After installing to hard drive, I don't. My network card is not configured. Also the menu item to configure network is missing on hd install...I am new to debian and don't know any terminal options. Saw kudzu works, finds the card but nothing else. Netconfig doesn't work...

Would really like to give this a go if anyone can help. Thanx!!!

xeta

Tech2k
11-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Hi,I wont be much help because I am on a dialup.I am useing the Knoppix_3.1-16-10-2002-EN.iso and as others have reported the netcardconfig just flashes and goes away when run from the KNOPPIX menu.But I can start the program by opening an xterm as root and typeing "netcardconfig".I dont have a netcard in my box so thats what the xdialog pops up and tells me but if you have a card it should get it working (it has for others).

I have had some people say that command is no longer good with the 11-08-2002 iso.While you are waiting for more answers here stop my the Knoppix irc channel at irc.openprojects.net and join #knoppix.Quite a few people have solved the network problem after a hdd install in that room.Also browse the EN forums on the main Knoppix page.

xetaprime
11-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Well, until I can find a way to connect, I can't keep knoppix. Will continue searching for the answer though. And love having Debian with KDE 3....thanx for the reply!

xeta

aay
11-20-2002, 09:47 PM
There is a known problem installing Knoppix onto the hd and using dhcp. Go to /etc/network/interfaces and add the appropriate information by hand.

Should work fine after that.

xetaprime
11-21-2002, 06:35 AM
Thank you for the teaser about adding to ect/network/interfaces. I am now online with Knoppix!!!

for those who want to know just added:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

regards, xeta