PDA

View Full Version : Howto get EDD working with knoppix 2.6.12 kernel?

gr11x
01-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hello, I am no linux professional, just experimenting a bit with knoppix, pxe booting and windows xp unattended installation.

I would like to boot knoppix to prepare harddisks for unattended installations of windows xp. Since kernel 2.6x uses another disk drive geometry as the BIOS (e.g. while formatting a partition with FAT32 filesystem) the partition is not really bootable after the second restart during the windows setup (message: "NTLDR not found"). I used the ms-sys tool to create compatible mbr and partition boot sectors. Using kernel 2.4x instead works great since 2.4x and 2.5x kernels use the same hard disk geometry as the BIOS.

Now I read about the EDD module (Enhanced Disk Drive Services) by Matt Domsch which can be used to read out the correct disk drive geometry. My problem is the integration of the EDD module into the current knoppix 2.6.12 kernel. After compilation of the module I always get an error "Unknown symbol" when trying to load it with modprobe or insmod.

Anyone has an idea?

I would suggest to integrate a compiled version of the EDD module into the next knoppix release (e.g. like Debian Sarge). :wink:

#modinfo edd
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/drivers/firmware/edd.ko
author: Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@Dell.com>
description: sysfs interface to BIOS EDD information
license: GPL
version: 0.16
vermagic: 2.6.12 SMP preempt 386 gcc-3.3
depends:
srcversion: 0874611504BA6FDDC89AD2F

#modprobe edd
FATAL: Error inserting edd (/lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/drivers/firmware/edd.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

#dmesg
edd: Unknown symbol edd

gr11x
01-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Hm, nobody here who can help me out?